Peacock Tahitian 2nd purchase advice.

pearlies

Hi all, my SIL would like to get herself a strand of peacock tahitian similar to the one I had then. You can view from the link https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/tahitian-pearls/4720-top-peacock-tahitian-5.html the vendor's photos are on page 1.

I have contacted the original vendors and they do not have stock of similar grade currently. I googled and came across this strand of peacock Tahitian, there are only 31 pearls. Do you think that the color and quality are close? She would like to have similar peacock tone. Or do u have any recommendation? tks, here's the link
http://www.thepearloutlet.com/servlet/ProductView?commodityID=43510&command=cp&supplierID=490

The Pearl Outlet is a reliable seller. The shape and size look very nice and they say the strand pictured is the one you will receive. You might consider contacting them to check on the overtones of the strand, and explain what you are looking for. Your strand seems to have strong cherry/rose overtones, and that is more difficult to find in a full strand.

Hi Pattye tks for the reply. She is not too keen on internet purchases.. she will prefer to find a strand from the show or mall instead.

yeah certainly:) but I just do not know how much more it will cost!

Pearlies, you or your SIL might want to check out the baroque Tahitian strands on www.pearlparadise.com. They have some that look similar to yours for less than $700, and the strand descriptions describe the overtones (peacock, etc.). If you give them a call, they might be able to steer you towards the strand with the strongest peacock overtones. I've bought a lot of pearls through the site, and have always been very happy with both quality and price.

Good luck!

Sheri

Hi Sheri we have been browsing all these recommended sites before:) the lower priced Tahitian in pp are mostly of a smaller size, and they do not have the stronger cherry tone or uniformed colored strand (mostly are multicolor). She is looking for a strand closer size and color to Approx 9.5-13.5mm. with uniform color and stronger tone. I have checked with most of these sites before and a few others like Tahitian pearl biz. They do not have what shes looking for. I will contact pp now to see if they have any recommendation. Though she's not too keen on online purchases. She might just be swept off her feet should I managed to find her the strand she's hoping to get!

ps I had contacted PP, will update on the reply tomorrow! tks

Last edited:
Hi all! I have some question here if u can help:) for Tahitian pearls, does bigger size means thicker nacre? (or it's just a bigger mother of pearl that's use?) how do I determined it's thickness?
2nd question- what I sthe correct trade way to measure a Tahitian baroque pearl? Is it taking longest length(tip to end/ full drilled length) or is it the shorter width? Tks a lot I can't seem to find a guide on this from the web search!

Hi
Yes and no - without an x ray it is impossible to tell. It could be a small bead which has been left in for a long time (see some of Josh's posts) or a large bead with only a very thin coating which shouldn't even have been exported
all pearls are measured at 90degrees to the drill hole.
a 13.5 pearl is going to be second or third graft so will be quite pricey

Hi wendy thank u for the reply once again:)

'90degrees to the drill hole' does that means the longest length? In other words, the length of a fully drilled hole? Tks!

No, at a right angle to the drill hole.
so for rice/elliptical pearls it will be the shorter of the two possible measurements, for example
If you measured the length of the drill hole that would be at 0 degrees to it, or at least parallel

Oops am a little slow here:) tks for the clarification Wendy. Got it!

PP tahitian Peacock Pearls

PP tahitian Peacock Pearls

Hi all! Here is the peacock strand that PP had put together. My SIL just showed it to me earlier, quoting "very high AAA grade, surface slightly blemished, A grade, classic Peacock". However, she does not seems very please, I think its because of the rings and noticeable shape difference.

It is about USD300 lower in price (this US, SGD currency conversion is confusing at times! btw to clarify my strand was SGD$1900, so its like a US$1500 ) She prefers the pearloutlet peacock but is hesitant to do it online.. She had arranged 2 more viewings with a local store. Hope that she can get one she likes.

Anyway, I thought it will great to obtain advices and views from you folks, without further ado..

Attachments

• 08-01-11b TAN vibrant.jpg
    08-01-11b TAN vibrant.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 48
Back