Weak Ebay Moment - SS Pearl Earrings?

kdee

Hello,

Purchased from China....of course guaranteed to be the real deal...but now upon receipt, not sure. Paid $340

Any opinions?

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• Real SS Pearls.jpg
    Real SS Pearls.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 21
Welcome, kdee,

Most of us here have had weak ebay moments, so don't feel bad about that.

What size are they? What karat gold for the mountings? Please if possible rephotograph using your camera's macro on a white paper towel, more close up. They don't seem well matched for color in this photo. They also look small for SS. Could very possibly be freshwater.

Perhaps you could also add the link for the listing.

Thank you for responding.

They were advertised as 8.8 mm, and as 18K.

I am not too camera literate, so I hope this pic works better.

Attachments

• Pearl Pic2.jpg
    Pearl Pic2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 34
If they are advertised as 8.8 mm and are from China they may be smaller. Not by any means an expert, I'm thinking that they sound very small for SSP's. I would assume from the size alone that they are freshwater.

- Karin

They are mailed from China. China is not a particularly reliable seller of SS pearls as they have to import them. I'd skip it and look closer to home. Look in your continent of origin, first.

That is very small for a South Sea pearl. See the description of SS pearls under the Cultured Pearls heading at the top of the page. Possibly thin nacre, possibly dyed. Do they look like a good match in person? One pearl looks like it has some rings or darker area close to where it meets the gold mounting.

Thank you all for your insight. The seller is allowing me to return them.

Back