Pick a thread, any thread.

You're welcome, JP,

It has taken me forever to "think" in mm, too! All these clasps seem to be useful sizes. Recommend checking clasps with moving parts to make sure they are functioning correctly. A few in this shipment aren't closing well. Rio does make it easy to exchange or return.

You're welcome, JP,

It has taken me forever to "think" in mm, too! All these clasps seem to be useful sizes. Recommend checking clasps with moving parts to make sure they are functioning correctly. A few in this shipment aren't closing well. Rio does make it easy to exchange or return.

Rio does offer these clasps in karat gold.

I'm going to have my Rio orders sent to my sister in Michigan from now on so she can check them out. Your comment Pattye on the fact that some aren't closing well would be a real bummer when they can't be easily returned. I've only had about 6 orders from them and there was a mistake in 3 of the orders, nothing too costly but still a waste of money when you get something that doesn't work or is simply the wrong item.

Pattye thanks for the pics. That is useful. And most definitely on checking the clasps. It has happened to me before, not just from rio but others as well. And return is a pain since I'm overseas.

They all look great BW!

Thanks Pearl Dreams, I ordered the Bead Reamer!

Frost Me, I maybe ought to have added that the reamer is great for people like me who only use it to solve occasional problems...if you plan to do a lot of drilling, get something stronger for which it's easy to find replacement drill bits.

Oh thank you, I went all over town a year ago looking to find anything that would help push through a knot. I just have a few pearls that are stuck, and prefer not to ship to someone. I would love to drill my own in the future. Do you have one that you can recommend?

Have you tried using a very fine sewing needle to poke at the thread/knot? I had a similar problem and used a needle to poke away at the threads. I was eventually able to loosen the threads enough to push a piece of the thread so I could grab it with my very fine tweezers.

eta: if you are thinking about a drill...I highly recommend Yotsuba. It's super easy to use.

I'd love to get a Yotsuba, but the price is prohibitive. I picked up a cheaper chinese version and was pretty disappointed, so there's that. I ended up getting a flex shaft (more uses) and a vice system from Riogrande, which has been okay. Not great, but it does the job. I'm sure the Yotsuba is worth the money if you're going to be drilling a lot of pearls.

I'd love to get a Yotsuba, but the price is prohibitive. I picked up a cheaper chinese version and was pretty disappointed, so there's that. I ended up getting a flex shaft (more uses) and a vice system from Riogrande, which has been okay. Not great, but it does the job. I'm sure the Yotsuba is worth the money if you're going to be drilling a lot of pearls.

I look at the drill as an investment relative to the pearls I've invested in...I wanted to minimize the potential for lost or poorly drilled pearls. Most of the inexpensive drills I saw were about 1/3 the price of the Yotsuba, so I agree it's a major expense, and not for everyone. I will add that my jeweler charged me $10 per pearl to drill, which made the drill quite affordable when compared to the cost charged by the jeweler to drill. In that sense, my drill has paid for itself many times over.

I look at the drill as an investment relative to the pearls I've invested in...I wanted to minimize the potential for lost or poorly drilled pearls. Most of the inexpensive drills I saw were about 1/3 the price of the Yotsuba, so I agree it's a major expense, and not for everyone. I will add that my jeweler charged me $10 per pearl to drill, which made the drill quite affordable when compared to the cost charged by the jeweler to drill. In that sense, my drill has paid for itself many times over.

I completely agree with this logic as well! I hope to reach the point where my pearl investments make that purchase worthwhile ;)

Don't get me started on justifying the purchase of an expensive pair of shoes! You must break it down by the per wear price...anything else would be illogical. And of course, it costs money because it saves money...one of my favorite lines from Moonstruck.

I just lost my first bit, the tip broke off, but the pearl was fine...I bought a bunch when I purchased the drill. I use carbon drill bits for Tahitian/salt water and the regular for freshies (tissue nucleated). I haven't done too many freshwater pearls, but I find they are much softer through the nacre than the Tahitians.

Has anyone had any luck finding a gold filled/gold plated orbit type clasp? I want to redo several clasps (ok, maybe 7 or 8) but the cost of buying several 14k clasps at once is keeping me from doing it. I also want both sides to open instead of just one side.

Back