New Shiny SSP From Pearlescence

Just received the blue baroque south sea pearl. To be honest - disappointment. The pearl has very clear chips of nacre right on the top of the "interesting" face, one very big one (4mm long), and two other small ones right on the "folding" edges of the pearl. I haven't seen these in the website photo, even though now - comparing the photo to the actual pearl - I suppose I can trace it in the photo as well. Also, I can hear the nucleus moving inside the pearl, like it's half hollow, which makes me doubt about drilling this pearl. The pearl is of a very interesting lilac/ blue colour, I must admit.
Blue baroque pearlescence

Last edited:
What a gorgeous color! Because of the way these blue SS baroques are formed. they seem to have loose nuclei and hollow spaces much more often than average and blemishes to be creatively worked around. I have a strand and a number of loose ones awaiting inspiration. The necklace was bought from Carolyn @ Druzy Design many years ago. When I went to restring it last year, I realized nearly every pearl was lighter in weight, so as I removed them I stuck a straight pin through each pearl to make sure the channel stayed accessible. (So glad I had been stringing pearls for awhile, too!)

I imagine many of those very high end pieces made with baroque SS pearls have blemishes than are covered with pave gems or gold. I'm hoping you and your jeweler will come up with a wonderful solution for setting your unique pearl, one you will love even more than your original idea.

Silver blue baroque SS with Kamoka keshi (for those who hadn't seen this before) with akoyas for color comparison

Silver blue baroque SS with Kamoka keshi

Last edited:
I imagine many of those very high pieces made with baroque SS pearls have blemishes than are covered with pave gems or gold.
Thank you for your kind reply Patricia) what a lovely collection you have!
My concern is that the imperfections are right on the edge that was supposed to make this pearl "different". I can see how to close the bigger (4mm) one, ok. But if covering the other two - than there will be very little left from the "uniqueness" of the pearl. Also drilling the pearl twice or thrice (once at the bottom to set and at least once more to cover the batches) - I'm not sure it will not crack because of it's hollowness..

Thank you, they are treasured; yours is stunning pendant also, lmg, are you wearing it today in honor of Valentine's Day? Yes, The "fill it with glue" is the solution!
Thank you, Pattye! I hadn't thought about it, but I must remember to wear my heart this Tuesday!

lmgarden- interesting solution. I've wondered about hollow pearls like that and thought that maybe filling them with some sort of Acrylic might work...then drill back into the filling. Some Souffle pearls must have this issue as they are hollow...but maybe the 'shell' is thicker. Never having seen a BSS like this it's hard to guess.

Lugana - if you don't think you can work with it you can always return it. Perhaps there is a different one that will work better for you.

Oh, what a shame! It looked so beautiful in the photos! I saw a Cortez pearl once that had basically liquid silver filling in some what I assume were imperfections. That could be an idea.

I have two pain in the neck blue pearls. It did take a white to find the right bale for each of them. With lots of trial and error before I was happy. One is a blue ss from Pattye and the other is a gas pearl from Douglas Sea of Cortez. The color and size is what made them both so very special. Both had loose nuclei that rattled around in there. Both were set using the pearl dust method by Pearl Paradise. Odd pearls can make beautiful and fun to wear necklaces's when all is said and done.

Big and weird drill hole that needed to be filled
blue ss from Pattye

The next two are with the wrong bale

New bale on a strand of Vietnamese blue akoyas
New bale on a strand of Vietnamese blue akoyas

Pretty but not perfect Sea of Cortez peanut
Sea of Cortez peanut

Perfect spot and new bale
blue Akoya necklace

Good luck on finding what will work with your pearl. I do love the nooks and crannies of your pearl but if you're not happy with it send it back. Then you can go on a hunt for another big blue.

Back