Unrelated but I need a good trustworthy source

M

micaht

Hello all! A couple of months ago I used this wonderful site to find another great site, pearlparadise.com, to find a strand a pearls for my lovely girlfriend as a birthday gift. She loves them.
Now I'm looking for an engagement ring :) Does anyone know of sites similar to this with recommendations for diamonds and engagement rings? I would greatly appreciate any advice and I apologize for posting this in an innappropriate topic area, I just valued the previous advice I received and hope that this is as fruitful as was that advice. Thank you very much!

For starters, you might like a cute little bird's eye view on jewelry-related forums on Richard Wise's Blog :)

Rating the Gem/Jewelry Forums

There are a few E-ring related forums: the largest is probably Pricescope... They do not make a secret of commercial interest: there are subscribing sellers that understandably act as insiders to some extent. If you ever wanted to know all there is to know and then some about cut branding, including proprietary models and the cut grading by the major labs (mostly AGS and GIA). That's the place. I definitely enjoyed the topic for the technical part, but IMO, it should remain a personal decision what matters and what doesn't. For that, a non-commercial source of information is always better. But again, someone has to pay the piper... most of the time.

Second the nudge to Gemology-Online; it feels great and I definitely enjoy that company as well :D It would probably help to open the question, as there isn't allot of previous talk there about diamond purchase in particular although expert advice isn't lacking with so many professionals posting arcane gemology stuff!

On the matter of diamonds alone, I have two favorite pieces of literature online:

One is a bit of with about the logic of diamond grading by Richard Hughes - it would be black humor if the topic itself wouldn't be so light ;)

Devil?s Advocate: The Naked Eye

The other is Tolkowsky's original paper on cut:

LINK to Jasper Pausen's edited issue

The follow up towards the current parametrization nightmare around the round brilliant cut is quite mind boggling! Gia and OctoNus (a technology developer for diamond cutting) carry a load of that online, but again, if it isn't an end in itself... it is much to much to go through for any practical purpose, IMO... after I had (mostly).

Basically, enjoy the ride!

It never ceases to amaze me what a bewildering maze of intimidating, confusing and exhausting information mire could possibly be built around such quintessentially simple objects! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back