South sea pearls

nessie26

Hi. I recently bought a pearl earrings from a friend and she said those our SSP and was purchased in japan. Can you please help me determine if the ones i got are real SSP? Thank you very much!

Please post photos-- preferably on a white background (paper towel works).

Either measure the pearls or put a ruler or other object of known size in the photo so we can see how large the pearl is.

If you are trying to upload a photo from a smartphone, you need to use the desktop version of Pearl-Guide, not the mobile version.

Hi thank you so much for the reply. Please see pictures i have attached. 20180206_074427.jpg20180206_074416.jpg20180206_074827.jpg20180205_210739.jpg20180205_211315.jpg

What is the metal finding marked, nessie26? (14K, 925 etc.)

The mark is sometimes on the post.

Last edited:
There is no mark on the metal. She told me it is set on stainless steel but she really is not sure because the earrings is a gift.

The reason I asked is that I had the impression they might be freshwater pearls with a bead nucleus. South Sea pearls should not be set on stainless steel, and frankly I'd be surprised if they were set on silver also. I'd expect a more valuable metal for valuable pearls. Gold or platinum.

Oh i see.. i will go to a friend today and have the metal tested to find out. Id be sad if they are just fresh water pearls 😔

Do you have any idea how much you think is a fair price for this pearl if they are fresh water pearls?

The issue isn't the cost but the fact that you didn't want FWP, and you were told they were SSP. I would tell your friend you'd like your money back.

As to value..they are flawed, and pre-owned, and if the finding isn't even precious metal, there is also that. They should not have cost a lot. Just my opinion.

Yup. I totally agree. I will have the metal tested today still hoping they are real gold.

I will for sure let you know . Thank you very much for your help and time 😊.

Back