Mikimoto ??

K

KathyMLJ

Hello, I'm new to this forum but am glad I've found you! I have a question and have been searching for information for many months. 20 years or so ago I was given a gift of a Mikimoto pin in the shape of a tree. The giver had been to Japan on business and went to a Mikimoto store (?). He gave the pin to me and promptly told me I should get it appraised and insured (I didn't). The only information I've been able to find on it was a similar pin in yellow gold (mine is white gold or sterling, I don't even know) and it was called the "Tree of Happiness". Mine looks exactly the same (12 pearls) except the metal. Does anyone know of this kind of pin and how do I tell if it's truly Mikimoto? It came in a Mikimoto box and had the Mikimoto bag but no paperwork. I can't make out any of the markings on the back as the branches and trunk are very thin. Thanks so much for any info!
Kathy

"Tree of Hapiness"? - No. "Tree of Life"... yeah. These are even posted online at the source HERE. The design is very copied - countless versions by other jewelers sold as such or with false pretense of being the 'original'. Now, the design idea is so old, done and redone since time immemorial that Mikimoto hardly owns it (what else is new?). I am not sure if the Miki signature warrants insurance and what good an independent appraisal could do; the receipt might just be enough and since the brand name is where most value is... that is one feature that is well document and does not need expert appraisal (IMO). The pearls would wear anyway and by the time they do, the insurance premium might be more than replacement cost. Up to you, I guess.

All this wan written assuming the what you have is the pin listed there or a closely related piece. It could have been significantly more expensive in japan. I know it is more here (~E 1.2k) than the US listed price. There is a white gold version. I am not sure about silver - it does not appear on the paper catalog among the tree of life series and have never seen any on sale anywhere.... that is not perfect info though.

Guys seems to be allot more into brand name jewelry! Perhaps that gives them reassurance that their gifts will be right on target, more than their personal choices might... ;) Either price seems very high!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back