what color background to display pearls

Are Chinese ripple pearls being dyed black a lot now? All of a sudden I'm seeing more references to them.
I'm also wondering how often Tahitians are dyed; I used to think never, but I've seen it mentioned lately.

I've only seen really low quality ripples dyed in Hong Kong. They are typically very inexpensive too. Chinese don't dye the "good stuff." Tahitians aren't dyed very often but dyed strands do exist. They are usually pretty easy to spot.

I know this is an old thread. I just wanted to add my two cents. I agree with Jeremy.

I used to work in the visuals and display department for a large retail chain (which shall remain nameless). One our concerns was the way the store lighting and the showcase lighting would wash out jewelry, not just pearls, or if the contrasts were too harsh on the eyes. There is a whole color science behind it, most of which I have forgotten now, but it impacts customer perception of quality and impacts their mood when jewelry shopping.

I had to do a presentation to show the Dept head, why we should order "Gray" busts and fixtures for the insides of the jewelry cases. A combination of the gems and metals reaction to show case lighting and the over head lighting was my main focus. Jewelry was very distracting on white when inside the show cases, but gray not only showed off yellow gold, rose gold and pearls to their optimum…from a distance there was no glare inside the cases (silver jewelry seemed to have the same visual impact on white as on gray, as did most gemstone bead type jewelry).

I will say this though, for presentation pads I insisted they should be white, due to the overhead lighting and its impact on how jewelry is viewed outside of the case (though white was incredibly hard to keep clean). Under no circumstances would I let black fixtures into the cases or the presentation pads. My overall opinion for retail show cases, it really depends on the type of lighting used (both inside the case and overhead) and the type of cases that are used…shallow cases or deep cases and if the cases are crammed full of jewelry or a bit more demure in their set up. Never ever black though for pearls its tempting to go for the contrast, but it does no favors for the pearls.

Just my two cents from a past life :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice! Who doesn't love blue with white pearls? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So true, GemGeek ... that photo is incredibly beautiful, and every time I see it, I want to go buy a robin's egg blue silk dress LOL :)

I wonder if there is a sticky for examples of dyed versus natural color in some of the more exotic type pearls?

What an excellent discussion and thank you BPDDC for adding your experience. I agree that white is the best background for pearls. We also have to remember the pearls pick up and reflect the color cloth they are on (or the color shirt the photographer is wearing), preventing the true representation of the strand, even though it may look lovely in the photo.

I feel silly now…I was going on and on about retail show cases, and we are all actually talking about Photography. Which clearly (by my pearl pics) is not my area of expertise LOL

Not silly at all BlackPearlDude DC ... a directly related topic and very interesting :)

Thanks, sorry I missed this reply. I loved the art of visuals and showcase display…the right set up and purchases skyrocket..no matter what the item is.

I think it depends on the color and material of the item, most of them look good on white or gray but shiny gold/brass looks better on white and matt gold tones look better on black.

Great question!

We normally show pearls on white background. It's a combination of showing the product best overall vs. total online experience.

Having said that, some of our partners show them on gray/shaded backgrounds, and it has not hurt their performance. instagram pro

I think in the end it's the quality of the photography that matters most... e.g. a lousy picture on white is worse than a great picture on black... a 20 megapixel image vs. a 12 megapizel image is better... regardless of the background. Right now reshooting a lot of product at higher resolutions/sizes is a priority for us. I'm confident that doing so - regardless of background - will result in better "reality" based imagery/shopping experience for the customer.

FWIW, my own personal preference is black, or dark red... e.g. darker is better. I think it provides best contrast and shows off pearls to best advantage. But given that I see pearls shown overwhelmingly on white background, I have to say my personal preference does not seem to predominate...
What are the pros and cons of using different background colors for displaying pearls online? I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks. I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks (y)

Last edited:
I have a question in regards to what color background is optimal in displaying pearls? Especially in a retail, do you present the pearls on a white cloth or black cloth?

While i worked in jewelery retail, i was taught to always show the pearls on white cloth to the customer as it brings out the true color of the pearls the best. However recently i heard the opposite, that black makes the pearls stand out and white washes out the pearls, making them less appealing.

If any of the professional pearl merchants like to share their view on this, that would be great! Thanks
White

I personally prefer a crem/beige color.

Back