Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

Poe Io Mata Nui (LONG!)

Poe Io Mata Nui (LONG!)

Per Caitlin's post #38, this is to chronicle the new necklace's progress, pending its completion for final revelation. It is a long post, sorry.

Actually there are two developments: The naming of the necklace according to Maori tradition, and a concept design sketch with very generalized construction and composition details (below).

Poe Io Mata Nui. (PO-ay EE-oh MAH-tah NU-ee—Poe Io in the familiar.) Its creator will be announced upon photographic shoot and delivery in late May. His words:

"Kia Orana Steve,

The name of your new necklace.

As with all things Polynesian, this title does not have a direct translation, its meanings exist on many levels and I am going to do my best to define them.

The basic philosophy behind the necklace was to represent twin dimensions, the spiritual and physical, in keeping with my cultural environment.

Hence the two types of pearls and the twin chain construction.

Poe, as you know are pearls, that's the easy part.

Mata: directly translated is 'eye' but used in this way is more representative of a multiple perspective given that it precedes the word 'Nui'

Mata Nui = many eyes, many levels.

Io: is the central theme of the necklace, a very old word, very traditional. Meanings include strength, centre greatness, essence, heart, creation, universe.

One potential translation: (Pearls) ....seen through the eyes of the creator.

The twin dimension aspect of this piece is inspired by my experiences in the Cook Islands. Not being born here, I have been given a unique life experience and gained a rather privileged view of life as I can also draw on my experience as a European.

Hence why I used the Australian Pearl.

The diamonds are really a tribute to a defining attribute of Polynesian culture, celestial navigation. This is really what sets the Polynesians apart and sadly much of this knowledge has now been lost.

Io: has always been a term very close to me because of my immersion in Cook Islands culture. It is a word/term that is most aptly represented by Platinum.

In all this has been a very interesting piece to create, reflective of many experiences.

Manuia"

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• PoeIo-Post1.jpg
    PoeIo-Post1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
This is a copy post, for pertinence of content, from the 'Gold vs Champagne Golden South Seas' thread.

perlas said:
There's really not much information on the pipi pearls. Maybe it's because of the size that they do not get as much interest compared to conch and melo melos.

However, I think the pipi pearls are unique because of their color and can definitely make a good jewellery piece.

This would be best linked to 'Pinctada Maculata.' I will double post this to make sure we're reaching interested forum readers.

The 'Pinctada Maculata' thread on Pearl-Guide.com, as a compilation of sources and anecdotes, is likely the most information on the subject in one place! The thread is now popping up near the top of nearly every Google search on the subject.

Perla's observation of poe pipi jewellery application is right. They are like little diamonds?'points of light'?and a few well-placed pearls go a long way.

Vis a vis melo melo and conch, of course pipi are real nacreous pearls, but their very unavailabilty has not allowed the growth of a collector's market per se. The concept of 'critical mass' comes into play, as poe pipi do not offer commercial attractiveness for authors or merchants to devote time and resources. Besides, they may well disappear in a few years?making chapters on the subject obsolete!

As we explore continuing availability of poe pipi the dwindling supply is apparent. Local merchants are increasingly reluctant to part with the few fine pearls obtained without elaborating them into formal pieces. Here is a guideline of prices for A grade (highest) high-luster, deep golden poe pipi as loose pearls at retail in Rarotonga quoted in recent weeks. This is US dollars, and US retail equivalent would be calculated in multiples:

3.5mm baroque: $100
3.5mm round: $250
4.0mm drop: $350
5.0mm round: $600
6.2mm round: $1000

6.00mm round poe pipi is rarified atmosphere. The necklace Poe Io Mata Nui will contain 10 poe pipi over 7mm!

Steve
Seattle

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated! I went back and reread the whole thread and studied the photos again--I am awed by the beauty of the pearls, but also the spirituality surrounding the whole process.
Appreciate you sharing all of that with us--

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

POE IO MATA NUI !!!!!

(First public viewing, Pearl-Guide.com, date of this post!)

Ben Bergman of Bergman & Sons in Avarua (aka 'The Creator' of Te Poe O te Kuki Airani), has sent this photo from his workbench in Rarotonga this afternoon. The Bergman family was instrumental in the founding of the Cook Islands cultured pearl industry, and was based in the Northern Cooks in the 1970s when export of natural pearls was still a viable business. Bergman & Sons' 30th anniversary in 2006 instigated the design and production of Te Poe —the initial subject of this thread.

Three rejections of a master for the platinum chain delayed its production, and just yesterday Ben's associate Luke flew to Auckland overnight to collect it so that the final assembly could take place in time for hand delivery on Sunday. This photo is the very first trial assembly, tomorrow all will be permanently fixed in place.

Pearls: 10 x 7-8mm natural pipi pearls, with a centerpiece 13mm South Seas white drop. Platinum with diamonds, carat weights pending (double chain not initially conceived—platinum weight came in a bit over budget!).

Since Ben's photograher is in Auckland and as Ben will come directly to Seattle with Poe Io on Sunday, a proper studio photo must wait. But Jeremy has kindly offered to put Pearl Paradise's art department at our disposal for a shoot when we visit LA in late June.

Everyone involved with the necklace is very pleased with the results, as are we! This began as a (seemingly) straightforward desire for a necklace featuring a few larger poe pipi to complement the smaller pearls in Te Poe.

Ben will officially present Poe Io Mata Nui at a small private gathering of pearl lovers at the Rainier Club in downtown Seattle this Wednesday.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• Poe.IoX.jpg
    Poe.IoX.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Just Stunning!!! What a thrilling event!!! So fascinating to follow your story, it adds so much to this amazing necklace! I love that the drop will have movement. A True Masterpiece!!! Congratulations to you, Steve, and to your Beautiful Wife!!

Pattye

What a beautiful, timeless yet modernly designed (does that make sense?!!) necklace or should I say wearable art. I had never heard of pipi pearls until reading this forum. It has been a learning experience for me to follow your posts. I guess that was one of the reasons this site was created. Pearl Fellowship! Good Luck with the unveiling.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I really like it !! It's rad and yet slightly blingy at the same time.

Slraep

Simply gorgeous!! But I would still like to see it on a neck. ;) I always prefer necklaces that way, it gives me a better feel for the overall design. Good luck with the event and I am sure we all wish we could be there. I hope it gets all the attention and appreciation it deserves. Congratulations

P.S. Also Congratulations to your wonderful designer, Ben Bergman, for his sensivity and creativity!

Pattye

Much appreciate the great comments. Ben is also grateful (I'll work on him while he's with us in Seattle next week, perhaps he'll sign in and contribute from time to time). Ben reviewed my most recent posts here and concurs that 6mm+ poe pipi have practically disappeared, and that this may be the last piece of jewelry of its kind for a while. Thus the extreme sentimentality and spirituality that were invested in its production.

Ingykiz: Totally agree re learning experience, I came here to share my discovery of poe pipi and newfound love of pearls, and have had the immense pleasure of expanding my horizons to other naturals as well as the potential beauty of CFWPs (equally liberating in their break with stubborn outdated sectors of the pearling industry).

Thanks to all of you!

Steve
Seattle

PS Will work on that neck shot on Wednesday. If not my wife, some other willing subject!

'E manea tika ai to'ou poe pipi!
(I think I'm probably missing a plural marker, but but that's the best I can come up with) :eek:

I think the piece is absolutely beautiful, and worthy of the pearls that grace it. I appreciate that an effort has been made to give the piece a cultural context - it is truly a treasure.

Words fail me. There's no greater compliment.

boo said:
'E manea tika ai to'ou poe pipi!

Boo, your use of Maori is not only very good, it has touched the heart of Cook Islanders. Thank you for this warmly felt and expressed sentiment!

Comment from Rarotonga:

E manea tikai to'ou poe pipi

...'Your pipi pearls are very beautiful'...conveys a deep sense of admiration when this phrase is spoken.

Steve
Seattle

Slraep said:
I really like it !! It's rad and yet slightly blingy at the same time.

Took my out-of-touch brain an additional day to catch up with 'blingy'', which I deduce to be 'sparkly to the point of ostentation' (still working on RAD?Radical?). But it's a good point. Our considerations for an alter ego to Te Poe involved more than pearl size/rarity, as upon receipt Te Poe quickly demonstrated a desire to be worn during the day (natural light?preferably outdoors), and we needed a companion for evening/indoor/formal wear. I think we got it!

Steve
Seattle

Posting in bits this evening, each requiring a separate focus!

Prior to his departure for Seattle to bring us Poe Io Mata Nui, Ben has prepared the following background text for Poe Io detailing the deeply personal expression it represents. As one who dealt with duality issues earlier in life myself (music vs. wine?thank God PEARLS waited just a bit longer!) I can relate.

Poe Io Mata Nui

For Steve Metzler & Almudena de Llaguno?Seattle, USA.

Koau Teia Ko Tangaroa, Ko Rongo, Ko Io.

?I am Tangaroa, I am Rongo, I am Io.?

In ancient Cook Islands culture there are the physical and ethereal worlds.

Mangaian legend states that the twin Gods Tangaroa and Rongo were thus defined, Rongo was an inhabitant of the spiritual world while Tangaroa resided in the material realm.

When considering the creation of this new jewellery piece, this cultural duality came into play, hence why I have used the twin chain construction.

But duality is a wonderful thing and can exist on many levels?as such it is a constant theme of this necklace.

Given that I was not born on Rarotonga but came to live there as a young child, I have up until quite recently questioned my cultural origins and loyalties. I found that there was no easy answer.

To declare for one meant denying the other so I decided to have the best of both worlds and acknowledged myself a ?hybrid?.

As a long time dancer/performer of Cook Islands Culture, I had participated in the prestigious Cook Islands ?Dancer of the Year? contests of 1996, 2000, 2002.

During these performances I took on the persona of Tangaroa, God of the Ocean and part of my chant written above (a judged criteria for the contest) I have found to be an inspiration for this new jewellery piece.

The persona of the God, I felt was relevant as he is the guardian of the Ocean and as such all that comes from it?including pearls.

Bringing this all together was quite a challenge!!

The Natural Pearls not only reflect the interests of Steve & Almudena but (like Te Poe) also acknowledge both my family?s presence in the Cook Islands and an historic pearling area. The Australian White S/Sea Drop at the centre of this piece reflects Bergman family origins.

The number of pearls in this piece totals 11. In numerology the combination of these numbers = 2, the central theme of this necklace.

The diamonds in this piece beautifully enhance the pearls and pay tribute to the traditional celestial navigational skills of the Polynesian race.

As we navigate our daily existence within an increasingly integrated global culture, we encounter many anomalies. Perhaps it is judicious to view these differences from the perspective of ?Io Mata Nui?, an enlightened approach of multiple perspectives.

Ben Bergman
Rarotonga
25-05-07

And my wife's birthday is the 11th day of the month!

Steve
Seattle

These were lucky Pipi pearls, to have been set for and shown to an understanding audience.

Taken out of the blue, the larger white drop does stand out before them, a wee bit. The image makes it look like an impressive pearl in its' own right, no mistaking that.

Valeria101 said:
…the larger white drop does stand out before them, a wee bit. The image makes it look like an impressive pearl in its' own right, no mistaking that.

The centerpiece was the subject of much discussion between Ben and ourselves, we held on to the possibility of an enhancer (for multiple usage) in that position, but in the end the discovery of the drop in a private Australian collection (along with the twin SS gold buttons posted here under South Sea Pearls) seemed to be too much serendipity to ignore, and Ben's desire to produce a timeless static piece won the day. We did want and appreciate the spontaneous expression of the artist.

The only possible future change would be upon discovery/acquisition of a natural cream/gold drop of sufficient quality and size. Saw some amazing possibilities at auction recently!

Reposting here (from early on in this thread) the poe pipi pendant we have named 'La Pipi Peregrina' ('The Pilgrim Pipi'). As you well noted at the time this was likely produced in emulation of 'La Peregrina.' Its 9.6x13mm pipi drop, unofficially the largest such pearl ever seen, was considered inadequate as a centerpiece for Poe Io (we did offer the option of using it).

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• attachment-1.php.jpg
    attachment-1.php.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
salem said:
Simply gorgeous!! But I would still like to see it on a neck. ;)

Things are happening fast, as the necklace has been finished overnight and Ben's staff at Bergman & Sons is celebrating a quick 'get acquainted' and sad 'goodbye' to Poe Io. I'm making an assumption that Ben's congenial assistant will not mind my quick use of this shot, sent by Ben literally on his way to pack his bags for Seattle!

Our view: It is clear that the SS drop is dominant (as it was in the original pearl composition posted here), but only on first glance. The drop serves to hook the eye, then as you continue looking (fixated!) other elements add their cumulative impact, individually and in concert. Many-layered?as the Maori phrase Mata Nui has been given to imply.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• PoeIo-Neck-Forum.jpg
    PoeIo-Neck-Forum.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 67
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the neckshot! It certainly helped my perspective. It certainly does look like a formal piece, and paired with that shirt made me chuckle a bit. Someday maybe we can see it with a gown to set it off properly. See how I am? I get the picture I asked for, and immediately ask for another. I guess there is no pleasing me.:D I think I need to go back for another look!

Salem,

We will get that shot for you?a little patience, please! I anticipate very good things from Jeremy's art department at Pearl Paradise late next month. The photo from Ben's store in Rarotonga was impromptu while the necklace was quickly passed among staff before being packed away. But it does reflect the informal, contented and geniune nature of Cook Islanders that charmed us (and all those who visit) in the first place.

Steve
Seattle

Back