Pearls in HaLong bay, Vietnam.

Lindaphillipsbong

Hello pearl friends. I have just returned from a trip in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. While in HaLong bay, on a boat, some pearls were brought out. They were presented as pearls grown in the ocean nearby in HaLong bay somewhere. I did not want to upset our host captain/chefs/bartenders; or cause them embarrassment ..... But they were obviously freshwaters (dyed and otherwise). I advised our group quietly of this. The prices were kind of high for freshwaters too (they weren't super nice). A book was produced with photos to "prove" they were cultured nearby. The seller was eyeing me suspiciously (probably understanding enough English to recognize the words Chinese and freshwater). It was a funny situation though because our tour group didn't know who to believe. They looked at me; "How can you tell? They look fine to us." I told them that these pearls were real cultured pearls, just not the types as presented, and they were a little overpriced because of that. In the end, one lady bought a necklace and earrings, and I was relieved of that. I wanted the boat guys to make some money. :)

I have to say though, I was proud to be a PG'er, with enough time staring at pearls, both real and virtual, to know my "stuff". Thanks to you all for educating me.
Cheers. Linda.

Oh Linda, sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Congratulations for sharing your knowledge and saving others from getting "taken". Truly a good deed! Welcome home :)

Linda, I loved the photos you posted on your facebook page of your trip. It looked amazing.

Hello pearl friends. I have just returned from a trip in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. While in HaLong bay, on a boat, some pearls were brought out. They were presented as pearls grown in the ocean nearby in HaLong bay somewhere. I did not want to upset our host captain/chefs/bartenders; or cause them embarrassment ..... But they were obviously freshwaters (dyed and otherwise). I advised our group quietly of this. The prices were kind of high for freshwaters too (they weren't super nice). A book was produced with photos to "prove" they were cultured nearby. The seller was eyeing me suspiciously (probably understanding enough English to recognize the words Chinese and freshwater). It was a funny situation though because our tour group didn't know who to believe. They looked at me; "How can you tell? They look fine to us." I told them that these pearls were real cultured pearls, just not the types as presented, and they were a little overpriced because of that. In the end, one lady bought a necklace and earrings, and I was relieved of that. I wanted the boat guys to make some money. :)

I have to say though, I was proud to be a PG'er, with enough time staring at pearls, both real and virtual, to know my "stuff". Thanks to you all for educating me.
Cheers. Linda.
I bought a necklace recently for $145 while on HaLong trip and it’s beautiful. It’s real salt water using Japanese technology. They are not fresh water Chinese pearls. Believe what you want to believe. There is no need for the Vietnamese to use Chinese freshwater to mislead tourists because it would hurt their business. I would like to buy more so from them so after researching, the website is https://ngoctrai.vn/

I saw expensive ones that range over $20k to everyday jewelry of $100 depending on the qualities. I regretted not buying more because they have more styles at HaLong Bay. The Pearls were beautiful and heavy in weight.

pearl pendant from Halong Bay

When I visited Halong Bay, there was a pearl shop next to the area where we were to board a boat for a tour of the bay and lunch. In the pearl shop there were rooms where they did presentations on how pearls oysters are grafted and there were farm pictures all over the walls. But nearly everything sold in the shop was Chinese freshwater. There was one case with some baroque akoyas, but I was told they were natural pearls - and all the other freshwater pearls were Vietnamese akoya.

While on the boat, our guide broke out a box of pearl jewelry. It was all lower-end Chinese freshwater. She had a photo with her of an akoya pearl farm in Vietnam, and she started scraping the pearls with a knife and holding a lighter under them to prove to us they were real (a common sales method you see at markets).

I told our guide the pearls weren't Vietnamese akoya. She argued with us a bit until I pulled out my business card and explained that I was in the pearl business. At that point she sort of acquiesced and then started asking questions. She wanted to know how much the pearls would cost in China. She wanted to know what her boss's margins were. It was mostly jewelry and the sort of jewelry you buy for a few dollars per style in Zhuji.

On the drive between Halong Bay and Hanoi, we stopped by a market that had quite a few busses in the parking lot. There were a number of tour groups stopping and shopping. The market was mostly made up of vendors selling local crafts and foodstuffs. There were also pearl sellers. At this market I only recall seeing Chinese freshwater.

I am sure there are legitimate pearl vendors in Halong Bay, like Peppa mentioned. Linda's experience was very similar to mine, though. It seems more like the rule than the exception. I should add that it was 11 years ago. I found an earlier post I'd written in 2012.

Back