Pearls by the Bay 2024

I am incredibly Happy to announce that this year's Pearls by the Bay event is officially set to happen on May 18th! Save the Date!

The information right from Kojima's website:

KID00896-fotor-2024011112811_480x480.jpg

PEARLS BY THE BAY * SATURDAY MAY 18th 2024 *
TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE IN MARCH 2024!
  • Each year in May, we gather at the Casa Madrona Hotel in Sausalito, California.
  • We start at 10am with a light breakfast and coffee/ tea service prepared for the group.
  • Next we hear from a hand chosen group of pearl farmers, historians and pearl professionals from around the world. This lecture series is a fantastic way to not just learn about different varieties of pearls, but to meet the people who study and cultivate these gems. There is a heavy focus on ecology and the marine harmony which is VITAL to the health and existence of both farming and natural pearl existence.
  • We have a gorgeous buffet lunch catered by Poggio's Restaurant, and a cocktail reception at sunset.
  • Last but not least: We play PEARL BINGO for PRIZES, and trust me you will WANT TO PLAY WITH US. Every year, this is by far the funniest part of the day!
  • There is plenty of time for show and tell, and catching up with your pearl friends.
  • This is the only seminar of its kind .. dedicated solely to pearls.. and it is our honor to host this event.

Almudena and I look forward to meeting everyone!

Tips please: Just went on Amazon to see about a roll/bag to carry a few of our treasures safely and comfortably. Too many choices! Any practical recommendations?

Tips please: Just went on Amazon to see about a roll/bag to carry a few of our treasures safely and comfortably. Too many choices! Any practical recommendations?

You know those rubber mats that you line drawers with? I use one of those. I cut it to the size I want, then I lay my jewelry out on it, and then roll it up and tie a few bands around it so it doesn't unroll. Ridiculously inexpensive, and the jewelry doesn't shift around. I also put the roll inside something like a shoe sock, or a sock, of any kind of stuff sack or packing cube that's long and narrow, just in case something escapes.

At my first Ruckus, someone had a roll made from one of these rubber mats. It was sewn to some fabric and had the ties attached. I always intended to sew a proper jewelry roll with it, but found that just using the mat by itself worked fine, so I've never bothered to make the "real" jewelry roll.

We are planning to hand out custom made "totes" this year, I can't say that they will be safest way to carry your treasures but they will be readily available. There is a luggage store on 4th street in San Rafael, I just looked them up and the prices are WOW, mmm I couldn't recommend. For something easy, there is always a target near by, if you'd prefer to buy one after landing.

I own 2 of those handmade rubber mats from an early Ruckus too; they work very well. Mine have the rubber mat inside, and quilted fabric outside, with a ribbon tie. Open, it's the size of a placemat, holds everything secure although I always tuck into another bag for travel, in case. There were some on Etsy in the past, I don't see any like that now, but BWeaves has figured out a good sub. Hmmmm, I need to ask my quilting master sister to make some; she's used to my strange requests :) My only other tip is whatever roller/carryon/purse/backpack the jewelry bag is in NEVER leaves the designated person's hands except if TSA inspects ...occasionally they are quite puzzled by strands (nucleii?) and even more puzzled why anyone would have more than one ...

Back