New Member, New Inherited Pear Necklace!

InheritedPearl

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, as i was looking for some information on a beautiful pearl necklace i inherited today. I am not familiar with pearls at all which brought me to this site.

So today i inherited what appears to be a real genuine pearl necklace. It has 309 pearls on it, and it is like 3 necklaces/strands together, with smaller pearls near the clasp part at the beginning, then the pearls get bigger and bigger until it gets to the end where it finishes with 1 bigger pearl on each strand. On the clasp part, it appears to be 1 bigger diamond in the middle, with 4 smaller ones and it also seems to have a "diamond cut" effect. I'm not sure how old this is, or who it was made by. I would be interested in finding out more information on this necklace, and even find out if it is indeed real pearls or not.

There is 1 pearl necklace currently on e-Bay, that looks very very similar to my pearl necklace, from the pearls to the clasp they look to be made by the same company. I just took a quick picture with my flash to see what necklace i inherited, and what it looks like, and if you look at the link on e-bay they look very similar. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow outside in the sun with my necklace. Thanks for any feedback on this.

My pearl necklace:

6yllac.jpg

Pearl necklace on e-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260985602804&fromMakeTrack=true

Last edited:
Hmm, if the eBay pearls were what they claim to be they would be sold through a reputable auction house and not eBay.

Welcome and congratulations, though! We'll be happy to help you find out what you've got. You say they are real pearls. Did you try the tooth test or try rob them gently together to see if they feel gritty. Have the diamonds in the clasp been tested as being diamonds? Are there any hallmarks in the metal? What do the pearls look like? Are they all completely uniform, do they they have tiny pits, colour variations? Is there nacra (surface layer) peeling anywhere?

Also, when you take more pictures, the ideal is to place them on a piece of white tissue, in northern light, outdoors, around noon (as I recall). We'll need both pictures of the whole piece and close ups.

- Karin

Hmm, if the eBay pearls were what they claim to be they would be sold through a reputable auction house and not eBay.

Welcome and congratulations, though! We'll be happy to help you find out what you've got. You say they are real pearls. Did you try the tooth test or try rob them gently together to see if they feel gritty. Have the diamonds in the clasp been tested as being diamonds? Are there any hallmarks in the metal? What do the pearls look like? Are they all completely uniform, do they they have tiny pits, colour variations? Is there nacra (surface layer) peeling anywhere?

Also, when you take more pictures, the ideal is to place them on a piece of white tissue, in northern light, outdoors, around noon (as I recall). We'll need both pictures of the whole piece and close ups.

- Karin

Ya i wouldn't buy from that eBay seller....simply for the fact that if you look at the ad and scroll down to where you see all the images of 'stars' wearing their jewelry, you can easily tell most of the images were photoshopped (the jewelry added onto the image after the fact)...and it's not even a good attempt to photo shop the images.

Hi everyone. I did do the tooth rub test, and i also gently rubbed the pearls together and the do feel "gritty" and not smooth...there appears to be no pealing anywhere and the holes look to be very small and tight on the necklace. I only received the necklace yesterday evening, along with quite a bit of other gold jewelry so i didn't get it looked at yet. I was hoping somebody here would be able to know if indeed this is real, and would know exactly what kind of necklace this is. The clasp top part where the diamond's/diamond cut clasp is, is silver...the back part is gold. The necklace also seems to be cold all the time, i'm not sure if that's normal.

I will take some pictures shortly, do you recommend pictures in the sun outside, on a white cotton shirt on macro mode? Thanks again for everyone's help.

In the shade outside with macro mode. Indirect light. You may need to try several different places to get the photo that look the most like the necklace. It is sounding good, but please let us see every possible detail.

On Ebay, any category you choose, if you ask for most expensive to be listed first, you will see the top items are extremely overpriced. Try it with an Ipad. The high end will be double and triple the actual cost. Try it with pearl necklace. Or anything.

On Ebay, any category you choose, if you ask for most expensive to be listed first, you will see the top items are extremely overpriced. Try it with an Ipad. The high end will be double and triple the actual cost. Try it with pearl necklace. Or anything.

No doubt...like $4,000.00!!! for a 17.5 inch 8.5mm white FWP necklace. I don't know whether to laugh or cry (especially if someone pays that price).

Well, just musing here, I guess even when folks are trying to pass new pearls as old heirlooms, we get to see pictures of pretty pearls.

Last edited:
Hi again. I tried to take some pictures but they didn't really come out, plus i did them in the sun...but for now here are 2 pictures of the front of the clasp with the diamond in the middle, and a picture of the back of the clasp (gold). I will try and do some more pics today or tomorrow. I would like to know if these are genuine pearls, and approximately how old they are and if it's worth to have them appraised and insured. Thanks again everyone!

1549iyu.jpg

s13y36.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely real pearls. The pearls near the clasp are barrel-shaped from wear. I would love to see a close up of the front pearls.

Definitely real pearls. The pearls near the clasp are barrel-shaped from wear. I would love to see a close up of the front pearls.

Thanks GG for the quick response. So you think these are for sure genuine pearls? Do you recommend i get them appraised & insured, or do you think i could just leave the necklace in my jewelry box at home? Thanks.

Also, did you check whether there is a hallmark on the clasp? It could read 14K, 18K, 585, 750, 925 or something else.
Remember that the white stone may be something other than a diamond, like a spinel.

Also, did you check whether there is a hallmark on the clasp? It could read 14K, 18K, 585, 750, 925 or something else.
Remember that the white stone may be something other than a diamond, like a spinel.

I can't seem to find any marking's on the clasp...could it have worn off maybe? Maybe i should buy & look with a magnifying glass?

Unlikely that it wore off; open the clasp and look at the part that slides into the larger part. The hallmark may be on that part. The spring ring of the safety chain may also have a hallmark.

It's also possible that the pearls were restrung at some point and a new, costume jewelry clasp added.

A magnifier is a good idea but don't buy one-- just visit a jeweler and ask to borrow their loupe (a 10x magnifier) for a moment. I'm sure they would let you do that.

From your photos, the clasp appears to be platinum on top, rose gold underneath. Extremely unlikely that it is a costume piece, or that the stone(s) are anything other than diamonds. The style, materials, and lack of any mark would fit perfectly with South American work (especially, say, Buenos Aires or Santiago) of the 1930s-1940s.

I definitely think it's worth having the necklace appraised, and cleaned/restrung if necessary. Just be aware that ignorance of pearls is rampant amongst jewelers! Many have never handled anything other than modern Chinese cultured freshwater pearls. It would be best if you found someone with knowledge of both pearls and vintage jewelry.

What fun, and thanks for posting closer photos! I hope we get to see the other items as well.

Thanks again for the responses. My father had told me before he passed, that this was a very high end piece of jewelry...and after some of the posts here it appears it may just be. My concern now is finding someone who i can trust look at this necklace and give a proper appraisal on it. I'm not sure this will ever get worn and if there are real collectors looking for items like this maybe it's just better to pass it on to someone that can care for it properly. I also inherited other items, like rings, bracelets and a beautiful heavy gold Waltham pocket watch.

If you can give us your general location, we may be able to recommend a jeweler who knows something about pearls. But please, give us more photos anyway.

I am located in Canada. We do have a very well known jeweler called "Birks" . This pearl necklace was with a vintage wooden box with a south american design on it, also in the box wrapped up was a piece of what appears to be a volcano lava! If you want to see more pictures of the necklace, please let me know what angles. Thanks again everyone.

Close ups of both pieces showing different sections. I'd like to see more of the button pearls closer up. The tongue of the 'pearl' clasp.

Back