18 ways to wear a 100-inch rope

Ok all, I don't really have the setup to do a video but I took some snapshots of the process for #9 aka the "nautical braid". The pictures are not pretty but I hope they are helpful for anyone else who wants to try this style!

IMG_5644.jpg
First arrange your rope in 3 loops like so.

IMG_5645.jpg
Create a ribbon loop resting under your pearls.

IMG_5646.jpg
Hold the loop perpendicular to the table...

IMG_5647.jpg
And thread your ribbon ends through the loop. Pull tight.

IMG_5648.jpg
This creates a neat ribbon end-cap and holds the pearl loops in place. Now you can start braiding.

IMG_5650.jpg
Slide the rightmost loop into the middle position. The most important thing for this braid is not to reverse the two strands of the loop. Do NOT flip the loop over. The left strand stays on the left, the right on the right.

IMG_5651.jpgIMG_5652.jpg
Now repeat the process for the leftmost loop: pick it up and move it into the middle.

IMG_5653.jpg
Move the rightmost loop into the middle...

IMG_5654.jpgIMG_5655.jpg
Move the leftmost loop into the middle.... you can see the braid forming.

IMG_5656.jpgIMG_5657.jpg
Continue this process, crossing the left and then the right loop into the middle. Keep braiding until you reach the end of the loops.

IMG_5658.jpgIMG_5659.jpg
One loop always ends up longer than the others. Nothing's perfect! I usually just flip this loop over the shorter ones and the ribbon will hold it in place.

Slide your ribbon ends under the bottom loops and up out the top of the braid.

imageimage
Pull tight as before.

imageimage
Done!

Some more thoughts on working with the rope.

When most people do something like a 6-loop choker look, they do something like this:
6 continuous loops around the neck. Of course, this doesn't fit over your head as is so you must loop it into place and then readjust the slack so that the loops are hanging how you want. I find this very annoying and I have also gotten caught in them trying to get it off!

Instead I like to do something like this:

imageimage
Loop it three times, then double it.

IMG_5678.jpgIMG_5679.jpg
Attach ribbons. This way you can tie it around your neck, the loops can't slip, and it is easy to get off.

IMG_5680.jpg
The ribbons also make it easy to twist into a torsade.

Wonderful clear instructions and photos! Congratulations and many thanks :)

Genius~ Love the braid with ribbon idea! Will be trying that tomorrow for sure! Thank you for showing that. Great photos.

doubledouble -- absolutely brilliant! I would never have figured this out on my own no matter how much time I spent trying. Great clear instructions and pictures. Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into making these clear instructions for us.

I don't think we can say "Genius" too often about this post ... VERY NICE DoubleDouble!

I know exactly what I'm going to wear tomorrow! Thanks for the instructions and the pictures!

Simply brilliant, DD! Wonderful clear directions!! No doubt we'll be trying this at the Ruckus two weeks from now! In fact, I have a 109 inch rope of 10mm pondslime pearls, could be a candidate for a transformation!

This idea is worthy of craft magazine!

Several of us have 100" necklaces from Pattye's throwdown a few years ago. These ideas are enough to get then out and wear them again!

And there is no limit to what can be used for ties now that we have the concept. Thanks.

Great instructions! Very thoughtful of you to create them! I am now inspired to create a 100" necklace!

Hello, Remember you can rave about the thread if you go to the upper right part of the pages, just above the post #s. Click on the arrow for Rate This Thread.

xo

Last edited:
Me too, Lady_Disdain! I missed the window with Pattye's challenge, but I still want to do one soon!

I just found this thread and am in love!

doubledouble says her rope is 5.5-6.0mm in the endless format, does anyone know if these beautiful braids can be made with a rope made of 6.5-7.0mm? And with one or two clasps in the rope?

Thanks to you, Tucs, I've just read this thread too and LOVE the many ways to wear a rope as well as the fantastic phototorial.

Brilliant, doubledouble, thank you for sharing!

Back