Mikimoto vs?

I have been wondering the same.

If Mikimoto's pearls are with that price tag, it better shows the difference between their pearls and other pearls.

Just like van cleef, recently, there are videos exposing the fake van cleef. After learning how to distinguish the fake vca and really see how it's impossible to replicate authentic vca, it makes me feel that it's really good to have a small collection of vca.

That's why I have been hoping to find out if it's really possible to distinguish miki pearls and other non branded pearls.

Mikimoto buys akoya pearls within the market similar to other companies in Japan. They buy loose hama-age lots and source from companies who buy their own lots to sort and match. They haven't been a fully-commercial producer since the 1950s. So strictly by examining the pearls, there is no way to distinguish Mikimoto from other non-branded.

Now, I finally realised how Mikimoto recognise their own pearls even though they are buying from pearl farms. The smoothness of the pearls from the same strand is a tell tale sign because no other companies or non branded companies are able to select all the smooth pearls for their strands so the smoothness of the strands is important in deciding whether it's authentic mikimoto pearls or not.

That's why Mikimoto's pearls are worth collecting for genuine pearl lovers because come on, you need some samples from the best company.

Mikimoto is only recognising pearls which they might have sold. They are guessing, based on their initial buying criteria.
Of course other brands can select ones of similar quality.

Mikimoto is only recognising pearls which they might have sold. They are guessing, based on their initial buying criteria.
Of course other brands can select ones of similar quality.

Strands are sold in lots so it's not possible to select every perfectly smooth pearls to make one strand like the big brands do. I think there might be a special department within the company to select perfectly round and smooth pearls for them hence the mark up prices. Or, the pearl farms make pearls for them according to their criteria.

Anyway, at this point, I am certain that mikimoto's pearls are worth the price. Even a small strand in high grade is still nice to have.

Last edited:
I believe I have one of the only vintage Mikimoto strands (at least that I have ever seen) that can be proven to be a true Mikimoto. It's a collector's item in my display case so it isn't for sale.

The pearls were temporarily strung for ease of transport so they could enter the United States tax free (7101.22.3000) and the original wax stamps are still in place.

Original Mikimoto Strand temporarily strung for ease of transport
Original Mikimoto Strand with original wax seals

It's Lovely!

Back