So ....where to from here?....

heartofawareness

So I recently finished the Pearls as One certification and I found it chock full of amazing information. I plan on going over the entire thing to see if I can pick up things I missed the first time around. I was wondering, now that I'm done...where to from here? I don't work in the pearl industry. I would love to apply my newfound knowledge in something productive and that can produce an income, yet, need some direction. I live in Maryland, about 2 hours from DC so that is not a logical choice for commuting. I'm thinking I must be 'missing something' that I need for that 'right opportunity' to show up. Any guidance, tips, direction, anything you think is helpful. Right now i'm just using my newfound knowledge for my own personal use but I'm thinking I want to do more with it...I know that it's not going to come by just sitting around so my first step was finding this wonderful forum where there's so much knowledge and experence...Just picking your brains :) Thanks in advance for sharing - Monica

I would "hit" the specialized books and journals...you can never know too much!
You could start with @pearlescence 's Pearl Book, and I am sure you can find others on Amazon.
Attending yearly events such as "Pearls by the Bay" may give you gtreater insight and you could meet with people in the industry that would offer guidance.

I would "hit" the specialized books and journals...you can never know too much!
You could start with @pearlescence 's Pearl Book, and I am sure you can find others on Amazon.
Attending yearly events such as "Pearls by the Bay" may give you gtreater insight and you could meet with people in the industry that would offer guidance.
Thank you Douglas. I dm'd @pearlescence about her book. The fact that I am here is GOOD! The fact that I joined just when Pearls by the Bay was happening is also GOOD because that gives me one full year to get some learning under my belt, meet more people, possibly go to events and shows (if there are any around here) and whatever else may come. The way I see it is, no matter how things fall, it's ALL Good! I'm off to a great start and I can't wait to hear from some of the other members in this forum......

In gaining knowledge about pearls, there is no substitute for handling and seeing pearls in person. Wherever you can go to handle lots of pearls will be invaluable. Stores and vendor inventory is constantly changing, so what you see will always be different in quality and types of pearls depending on what they have available at that moment. Experience matters a lot.

In gaining knowledge about pearls, there is no substitute for handling and seeing pearls in person. Wherever you can go to handle lots of pearls will be invaluable. Stores and vendor inventory is constantly changing, so what you see will always be different in quality and types of pearls depending on what they have available at that moment. Experience matters a lot.

I agree with you @jeg nothing beats handling all different types of pearls as often as possible and that's where the experience comes in because book can only take you so far...

Do you want to make a business from pearls or do you want to become a knowledgeable pearl owner? (and thanks for the recommend Douglas)
Either way an aspiration to learn, learn some more and then learn even more is a good thing. With pearls there is always something new to learn and to experience, if you are open and receptive.

Do you want to make a business from pearls or do you want to become a knowledgeable pearl owner? (and thanks for the recommend Douglas)
Either way an aspiration to learn, learn some more and then learn even more is a good thing. With pearls there is always something new to learn and to experience, if you are open and receptive.
Hi @pearlescence...since I'm not sure what direction I'm going in at the moment, the most logical thing to do is to do what you and Douglas have suggested and that is to hit the books!! There's a gem show coming to Virginia next month..might go to that but not sure how much of that will be pearls since historically the times I've gone there it was mainly everything gems and a little bit of pearls but I might be wrong. I'm sure I'll find out what direction to go in when the timing is right!! Yes, I agree with being open and receptive (and that I am). Thank you all so much for your input...

Hi @pearlescence...since I'm not sure what direction I'm going in at the moment, the most logical thing to do is to do what you and Douglas have suggested and that is to hit the books!! There's a gem show coming to Virginia next month..might go to that but not sure how much of that will be pearls since historically the times I've gone there it was mainly everything gems and a little bit of pearls but I might be wrong. I'm sure I'll find out what direction to go in when the timing is right!! Yes, I agree with being open and receptive (and that I am). Thank you all so much for your input...
There might be more pearls than expected! @jeg is right on with her advice, so try to find a person that works with pearls in your location so you can visit and "talk pearls"

The VA gem shows are hit or miss. Sometimes there are a lot, sometimes not so many, but you can't predict ahead. If it's within easy travel distance for you, it's worth a walk through. I always try to go if we're in VA visiting relatives.

The VA gem shows are hit or miss. Sometimes there are a lot, sometimes not so many, but you can't predict ahead. If it's within easy travel distance for you, it's worth a walk through. I always try to go if we're in VA visiting relatives.
You're right @CathyKeshi The show is in Chantilly, VA which is about an hour and a half each way...better be a lot of pearls there for me to 'play with', LOL......

Back