Rare pearl found by kids

It's an interesting article, only thing that makes me wince is the usual use of the "If debris gets stuck in a mollusk and they can’t flush it out, they coat this debris in their own mother of pearl or shell material.”

Last week I also read another digital newspaper article about a lucky man that found a quahog pearl.

This is a pretty cool find - not your typical quahog story!

The article ends with the unfortunate wives tale about how pearls form (and it's quoting the curator at the Smithsonian :cry:), but still, what a lucky day for those kids!

I may have hoped the Smithsonian had a more astute comment. The premise being pearls form around foreign objects in every scenario is largely false. Then again, the displacement and modification of epithelial cells or the autoimmune behavior thereof tends to go over a lot of heads, but one might expect better commentary from higher level sciences.

The lay statement... natural pearls form in a variety of different ways is more true than defaulting to that old wives tale every time.

I may have hoped the Smithsonian had a more astute comment. The premise being pearls form around foreign objects in every scenario is largely false. Then again, the displacement and modification of epithelial cells or the autoimmune behavior thereof tends to go over a lot of heads, but one might expect better commentary from higher level sciences.

The lay statement... natural pearls form in a variety of different ways is more true than defaulting to that old wives tale every time.
Absolutely!

Back