Pretty Sure Akoya

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
Picked up this vintage pearl necklace for a deal. The pearl in the clasp looks to be a replacement. The quality of the pearls in the necklace aren't great, looks like thin nacre. I really wanted the clasp for a bracelet project, but I'm going to make a wave necklace with these pearls after culling the bad ones. What do you all think, Akoya?
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4626.jpg
IMG_4629.jpgIMG_4633.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I think they're akoyas. I saw one with only bead (nucleus) left, the nacre has completely worn out. Looking forward to the redos. I love the clasp.

Last edited:
You'll make something wonderful from that, MSC! You SO have the trick for finding fabulous clasps. I have an antique pair of earrings with a very similar setting to that clasp. Small single pearl, set in a basket setting, with a halo of mine cut diamonds ... it was originally a screw back finding I had switched to a simple leverback. Look forward to seeing what you create!

Cathy your earrings sound beautiful! I would love to see a photo. I love antique jewelry...and old mine cuts. My engagement ring is a mine cut diamond. The jeweler wanted me to have it recut to increase the value of the stone...I said, and still say, NO WAY!

Oh, I second photos, Cathy!

That jeweler was out of his mind, Jersey!

Thanks, everyone! I am going to use some of the Pteria sterna for the bracelet and I want to replace the too large fwp with a smaller button SoC pearl. :)

Last edited:
Sounds lovely MSC. I've never found a single clasp online LOL ... I don't have the knack. I'll see if I can take a photo of the earrings, if the sun ever comes out here again. We need the rain though. I don't know how old the earrings are; the pearls are small, and not really a stand-out, but I love the earrings.

Sounds lovely MSC. I've never found a single clasp online LOL ... I don't have the knack. I'll see if I can take a photo of the earrings, if the sun ever comes out here again. We need the rain though. I don't know how old the earrings are; the pearls are small, and not really a stand-out, but I love the earrings.

They sounds lovely, Cathy, right up my alley :) Can't wait to see them! We just had some rain out here this week and now the state bird (mosquito) is back in full effect!

Those are some well-loved akoyas. Good luck with your project. :)

No sun here today, sigh ... and UGH! on that state bird MSC! My bites from Maryland this summer are just finally healed, and the poor puppy is having flairups of both Lymes and Erilichear (sp?). Will try again tomorrow. We do need the rain.

Back