Pearl certification from GIA

A

aizza

I'm from an Asian country and my place is one of the most popular pearl markets/sources in my country as well as in neighbouring country as it's location is somewhere at Borneo Island and near Philippines.
It's easy to get raw pearl at my place as well as finished product since we get it from the very first dealer! And always direct from the sea.

Recently I'm thinking of starting a business on pearls online thru the internet to enhance myy business because I can get the pearls at lower price but with quite good quality. But now I'm thinking that normally internet customer will question about the certification from some standard institution like GIA. Is it a must to get those authentication? How is the procedure?

All this while, I have purchased plenty pearls and sell them from my small shop without any certificate from GIA or other agencies. I just sell it!! Somemore, people at my area do not bother about the certificate because they knew the pearls are genuine. Can I do the same to internet customers? If otherwise, how do I get the certificate?. I only sell South Sea Pearls with range price as low as $USD1 to $USD500. But most pearls in my collection have price around $USD150~300. Does such a lower to medium range pearl also need the certification? Thank you very much for your advice...

Hi Aizza

I don?t think having a gemology certificate is what will help you sell pearls. Good pictures , good descriptions, good prices including sipping or postage, and a generous return policy. The latter could be the trickiest for some one in such a far away place.

You sell South Sea pearls you buy locally? Do you make the jewelry up or just sell the pearls?

I, for one would like to hear more about you and your pearl business. Do tourists buy your pearls? Or pearl traders? How far along are you on building a website? What is the name of your business?

Hi Caitlin,
Thank you for your message. I sell pearls as well as the set of necklaces, pendants, earrings, bracelets and ring. I also sell few other products which were decorated with pearls, such has hair clip, scarf, purse, brooch.

I haven't started the online business yet, as currently i'm surveying other websites to get ideas and study their marketing way. I'm still very new to this online business and I think online customers are more careful and particular such a small thing like the authentication/certification/grading of the pearls. I don't have formal education in gemmology but I do know a bit how to grade pearls traditionally based on the appearance especially the blemishing level of pearls. In my country, there is no an institution for examining, certifying pearls like GIA or Mikimoto. We, the sellers explained the grade/quality of the pearls verbally to customer based on our experience/knowledge. Even tourists also never ask about the certificate, maybe because they know we're running a traditional basis business.

But recently, I'm studying deeper on how to define the roundness more accurate based on exact measurement (using vernier caliper) and vary percentage in size andd types of shape. So, can I grade the pearls quality myself with the help of some experts/experience people without getting any certification from such kind institution and then sell them online? Will customer still inquire the certicate? Thank you.

Hi Aizza!

I have seen a few web sites that don't offer certificates on items such as pendants,rings etc. An authentic certificate is a good marketing tool however,IMO.

Karen

Hi Aizza
Are you going to sell only the local SS pearls? I think that would be your "hook" Pearls directly from the Isle of _____"(fill in blank) "Home grown, personally picked by me, " etc

How well do you know your pearls and the local business?

for instance, what is the best pearl you have seen locally? The largest? What is the local pearl history? How did culturing get started on your island? How do you pick and buy pearls locally? How well do you know the local producers? How well do they like you? Who else buys their pearls? Do you get to the Pearls before the big buyers get their pick cause yu are local? Who are the big buyers? Who makes your jewelry? Is it made on the island? This imiportant info to interest buyers..

How do you "grade" your pearls, now? Isn't there some kind of grading standard for SS pearls? Do you know your pearls well enought to grade the the same as others in the industry do? Knowing all this and being able to share it with customers will help.

If you can get certificatons and degrees, get them, but being the most knowledgeable and transparent about the pearls you sell should help. Sell the Mystique of your local island! Selling pearls online is all about selling.Selling is all about drawing a picture of your pearls from your island as unique and special and you as having a unique and special affinity for picking quality pearls- you are the pearlman of ----Island! and similar sales talk, esp. if it is true.

I don't see the certification as the biggest problem in your online task, I see that as shipping and return policies. How in the world would I even get a pearl necklace from you? By slow boat? By UPS? These are my questions as a customer. If I like your words and pictures and know I have 90 days to return them and a feasible way to return them, I might try your personally picked pearls from a romote island- especially if they are well-priced including shipping.

Last edited:
If you are only going to be selling South Sea pearls, skip the GIA course. The 15-20 pages of general information can be learned from nearly any book or Website.
I am confused about your questions, however. Are you asking if customers want each pearl certified, or YOU certified?
The GIA will pass you and give you a certificate (and if you were able to graduate from 1st grade you will pass), and some customers really do like to see that, but the class will not really do you a lot of good. If you know anything about pearls don't waste your time on the grading class either.

From a shopper's view...

I would not expect to see lab reports on offer with pearls, but surely would appreciate the potential to ask for one. As far as I understand, lab reports do not offer quality grading on pearls anywhere, only attest origin, treatment and type (natural, nucleated, salt vs. freshwater... etc.).

You may find this discussion about offering lab reports interesting: the shop in question does not precertify their merchandise, but invites buyers to ask for an AIGS report if they want to. Is this institution anywhere near you? Not sure how well equipped they are for pearls, but it is the only lab I know well outside Europe and the US.

My 2c.

Any chance to see pictures of your pearls? ;)

For the GIA pearl report, what kind of information would it provide? Does it include the "type of pearl" and "grading" in it?

Thanks.

Type of pearl, yes. Grading, not really. The GIA report basically serves to authenticate a strand of pearls. It will tell you if the strand is natural or cultured, what type of pearl it is, and any discernible treatments.

Back