Flea Market Pearls

pattye

Pearl Scholar
Well, this necklace is NOT a lovely old baroque akoya, but it was a bargain! Eighteen inches of creamy, lustrous 4mm freshwater pearls with a few duds mixed in, as you can see! Clasp is base metal with a fake pearl. All for the bargain price of $1.00! (They will be getting a bath soon and restrung in some other form.)

P1020887.jpg

Wow, Pattye those have such a lovely glow about them! Nice find :)

Lovely! I can't ever seem to find any pearly goodies like that!

Dang, those are sweet. I hope you do something fun with them. They would be great alternating with ombre beads.

Ooh fun!!! Have you decided what you're going to do with them?

Oregon sunstones ... please let it be Oregon sunstones ;)

Sunstones were the first thing I thought of, but then I thought that Pattye had a necklace with pearls and sunstones. Maybe there are several people with pearl and sunstone necklaces and I am just forgetful? Cathy? Ah, the joys of old age! ;)

I have a friend who has an incredible large long graduated strand of faceted crystalline sunstones. That set the bar for me long ago. My skin clouds over faceted beads very quickly, but I would carry a wiping cloth with me if I had that necklace!

Getting back to the flea market pearls, they are a creamy color that would lend itself to an orange combination. Carnelian?

I think Pattye has had a few pearl/Oregon sunstone combos for sale on her website in the past? No, sadly, I don't have any such. I'm sure Pattye will come up with something wonderful to do with these little gems :)

Yes, the pearls are definitely creamy. I have some nicely faceted carnelian, will check it out along with sunstone! Strung on 20# fishing line for washing in Dr. Bronner's unscented castile soap. I leave about 4 inches of slack so if pearls are really dirty I can use a soft brush on them, however, these weren't too bad. Note the pile of discards; I see I missed a few that are very dull on one side.

Will have something made up by Ruckus, if not sooner. Other priorities at the moment! Thank you all for the suggestions! With the added gemstones, a rope in the 60+ inches would be fun.

Blaire, what color were your friend's sunstones? I can imagine how glorious her necklace is!

P1020893.jpg

My thoughts were something in the citrine/lemon quartz/ baltic amber area but that Oregon Sunstone really knocked my socks off! I am not normally a lover of anything orange either. Would love to see it done with the sunstone.

Back