Exception to the rule?

barbaradilek

I saw these pearls just 3 minutes before the online auction finished and had a mad moment and bid for them.when I cleaned them up,the clasp and pearls looked considerably brighter!.The pearls seem heavier than other strands I have of comparable length.Iv candled them and every one presents differently,no bead nucleus present that I can see.The drill holes are minuscule. I’d need magnifying glasses to see to restring them.I remember Douglas saying at one time he strung smaller pearls between more valuable larger ones to optimise the number needed in a necklace.I thought that a silver marcasite clasp would have been a 1920/1930s strand,but I discovered that marcasites were a favourite Victorian mourning stone.Maybe I should have put this under “ what kind of pearls do I have” Sorry! Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• 2DA73C2D-DEDD-4C68-B29B-D3CFFA395691.jpeg
    2DA73C2D-DEDD-4C68-B29B-D3CFFA395691.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
  • FB6664AA-0D63-4F7C-8647-14D4E8A1C255.jpeg
    FB6664AA-0D63-4F7C-8647-14D4E8A1C255.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • CC2C3C65-AB3A-44B9-90DD-9306C0BCF512.jpeg
    CC2C3C65-AB3A-44B9-90DD-9306C0BCF512.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 122
  • C1AC5766-D045-46DE-B76F-B46DF5A00E9B.jpeg
    C1AC5766-D045-46DE-B76F-B46DF5A00E9B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 128
  • 003B8B38-7FA0-40CE-9219-E7077B73B757.jpeg
    003B8B38-7FA0-40CE-9219-E7077B73B757.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
Jeremy thanks for your wow! I wondered,but needed an expert to give their opinion before I opened my big mouth.I had read previously that natural pearls would have a higher grade clasp,18ct gold or platinum,not silver and marcasites.Theyweradvertised as 1930s Art Deco,and I got them for approx $60.

A P.S. on the problem of when to get pearls tested.Being congenitally mean,I’m torn between wanting to know if the pearls are natural,and wondering if I want to pay £100 or more to have them tested.I’m not a seller,but don’t want them to end up in a charity shop when I shuffle off this mortal coil because the relatives have no idea that my pearl collection ( but they all look the same don’t they?) hasn’t come from Woolworths.Apart from knowing that naturals are worth much more because of their rarity,Iv no idea of worth,which must be reflected in their grading,colour,size shape etc.What factors would make you decide to get your pearls tested?

If you will enjoy and wear them regardless of what they are, then you don't need to get them tested.

If you pay to get them tested and find out they aren't naturals, will you enjoy them less, knowing how much more they ended up costing you?
If so, then don't get them tested.

But if finding out they are naturals would greatly increase your pleasure in them, then maybe it's worth getting them tested.

As to your relatives, they can always pay to get them tested after you shuffle off this mortal coil. ;)

You can always include a small note next to your necklace. It could warn your relatives: Believe these are Natural pearls worth quite a bit! Have them tested. Could be worth your lot!
It is a very nice strand :)

My first thought was these are elaborate fakes, but the more I look at them... they're not that elaborate.

Perhaps it may be photo quality, but I see too much metal and not enough butter (nor depth) for gulf origin.

While the strand appears graduated, it's not. The third photograph the tape measure indicates from 2 to 12mm the pearls are 3.5 and 5mm in diameter. Three or five slightly larger than 5mm pearls embellish the low point between the same 3.5mm pieces. The give away being the left side greatly mirrors the right side with chain and sprocket precision. We only see that in the most elegantly crafted strands and pretty much never in limited inventory pieces.

The graduation of the pearls toward the clasp is uneven.
I would also restring them. Unknotted as they are, if the thread is old it is more likely to break, and then you'd potentially lose the pearls.

Yes, not an oversight to expect from one creating natural strands.

A P.S. on the problem of when to get pearls tested.Being congenitally mean,I’m torn between wanting to know if the pearls are natural,and wondering if I want to pay £100 or more to have them tested.I’m not a seller,but don’t want them to end up in a charity shop when I shuffle off this mortal coil because the relatives have no idea that my pearl collection ( but they all look the same don’t they?) hasn’t come from Woolworths.Apart from knowing that naturals are worth much more because of their rarity,Iv no idea of worth,which must be reflected in their grading,colour,size shape etc.What factors would make you decide to get your pearls tested?

You'd certainly want to know if they were natural. Do these merit a trip to the lab? Not at this moment. Candling would reveal the nuclei. I'd expect uniformity, but you'd pleasingly surprise me if they weren't. I'd suggest this strand was crafted to look natural in times more recent than the 30s. Nothing nefarious nor deceptive, though. Perhaps a piece from what they had on hand, or commissioned for a purpose/styling (ie) wedding etc.

Sometimes (though not a lot) we see mix strands, but I don't think this is that either. It's an alluring piece. Considering the clasp, the otherwise good condition and quality of the pearls, you did alright. Not just for gazing, but wondering or learning about pearls is fun too. Restring... perhaps they can tweak that graduation thing at the ends while their at it.

My first thought was these are elaborate fakes, but the more I look at them... they're not that elaborate.

Perhaps it may be photo quality, but I see too much metal and not enough butter (nor depth) for gulf origin.

While the strand appears graduated, it's not. The third photograph the tape measure indicates from 2 to 12mm the pearls are 3.5 and 5mm in diameter. Three or five slightly larger than 5mm pearls embellish the low point between the same 3.5mm pieces. The give away being the left side greatly mirrors the right side with chain and sprocket precision. We only see that in the most elegantly crafted strands and pretty much never in limited inventory pieces.

The graduation of the pearls toward the clasp is uneven.

Yes, not an oversight to expect from one creating natural strands.

You'd certainly want to know if they were natural. Do these merit a trip to the lab? Not at this moment. Candling would reveal the nuclei. I'd expect uniformity, but you'd pleasingly surprise me if they weren't. I'd suggest this strand was crafted to look natural in times more recent than the 30s. Nothing nefarious nor deceptive, though. Perhaps a piece from what they had on hand, or commissioned for a purpose/styling (ie) wedding etc.

Sometimes (though not a lot) we see mix strands, but I don't think this is that either. It's an alluring piece. Considering the clasp, the otherwise good condition and quality of the pearls, you did alright. Not just for gazing, but wondering or learning about pearls is fun too. Restring... perhaps they can tweak that graduation thing at the ends while their at it.
This is great answer Dave. Deep analysis. You made me go back and take a better look at the photos. Thank you for sharing your insight.

Back