Baroque pearls

T

tommyv67

I am curious about baroque pearls...I am wondering what are the most common type of Baroque pearls...when you get into the 10-18mm+ range.

From what I can see these are South Sea..is this correct?

Then you have many different types that might be considered Baroque...pear, dropped, ringed...are these all characteristics of Baroque??? Is one more valuable than the next?

Is there a grading process for Baroque pearls?

Baroque, drop, and circle pearls can be graded just like rounds, separated by shape, of course. You can have "gem" quality drops, for example.

A baroque pearl is, by definition, not the same as a symmetrical circle or a drop. Baroques will be devoid of an consistent shape. But, the word is used interchangably for circles and drops, and is accepted. For a true baroque, think freeform.

The largest are typically the South Sea as mentioned. Baroques from the Pinctada maxima easily reach 20mm.

Last edited:
Baroque Pearls

Baroque Pearls

The most common types of baroque pearls in the 10-18mm size range are first South Sea pearls, second Tahitian pearls, and third freshwater pearls.

Tahitian pearls come in a range of blacks, greens, purples, etc. Typically, with Tahitian baroques, you do get a large range of colors. Here are two baroque Tahitian strands. The second is more baroque than the first. The first, being less baroque, is appraised at a higher value.

Baroque Tahitian #1

Baroque Tahitian #2

While freshwater pearls are often found in baroque and semi-baroque shapes, they are rarely found in sizes above 12mm.

Saltwater Akoya pearls can be baroque, but generally have very little value in baroque shapes. These are rarely above 10mm.

When measuring a baroque pearl, if only one size is given, it should be the smallest diameter of the pearl. Alternatively, both the smallest and largest measurement can also be stated for a single baroque pearl. ie. 10x14mm.

Attachments

• baroque-a-sm.jpg
    baroque-a-sm.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 55
  • baroque-b-sm.jpg
    baroque-b-sm.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 57
Tommy,
To answer your question about which type of baroque pearls is the most valuable, it would be the South Sea pearls. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Baroque are almost always the cheapest pearls out of the different categories of pearls. Australian South Sea Baroque can run very high, but Tahitian and Golden South Sea are definitely up there.

Baroques may be the least expensive when it comes to shape of the pearl, but in terms of quality, baroque necklaces can carry a very high value. A poor quality round pearl can bring much less than a high quality baroque pearl. I think it is important to choose words wisely.

Baroque Pearls

Baroque Pearls

That's a great point Amanda. Another advantage of baroque pearls is they often display a very high orient. Contrast this with a low quality strand of dull, round pearls (no matter what type).

The GIA definition of a Baroque pearl is as follows:
Baroque - Non-symmetrical shape with a noticeably irregular appearance.

Back