Antique pearls?

S

Supernova

I recently purchased these. Pearls have a life of about 100 years, or so I was told. I have a feeling these are older than 100 years and have begun to decay. Any insight? They are HUGE. Like an inch and a half or so in length.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.jpeg
    IMG_3154.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3166.jpeg
    IMG_3166.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3157.jpeg
    IMG_3157.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3159.jpeg
    IMG_3159.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
I have mabe' pearl earrings exactly like that. My mom bought them in the 1990s. The style only goes back about 30 years. The back side is mother of pearl shell to cover up the back of the mabe' pearl. They don't look decayed to me. Just like they need a gentle cleaning.

Google photos of Princess Diana from the 1990s. She wore a lot of large mabe' pearl earrings.

I have mabe' pearl earrings exactly like that. My mom bought them in the 1990s. The style only goes back about 30 years. The back side is mother of pearl shell to cover up the back of the mabe' pearl. They don't look decayed to me. Just like they need a gentle cleaning.

Google photos of Princess Diana from the 1990s. She wore a lot of large mabe' pearl earrings.
I googled but didn’t find anything… do you have a value estimate handy?

Hey check it out I answered my own question! With the help of this other comment! Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 72
Yes, that's how mabe' pearls are made. A shape, in this case a teardrop, is put on the inside of a mollusk along with some mantle tissue. The pearl nacre grows over the shape. When the pearl is harvested, the pearl is cut out of the shell and the shape is removed leaving a dome of pearl nacre that is filled with resin. Then a mother of pearl backing is glued on to seal the back. They give a big pearl look with lighter weight than if it were solid shell or nacre.

Sorry, they're not worth much. My sister and I inherited several pairs of 1990's era mabe' pearl earrings from our mom, and they're not our style. We can't even give them away. Even the pawn shops in my area won't buy them because they can't resell them. They're not vintage enough, yet. I looked on Ebay, and mabe' pearl earrings with no gemstones are in the asking range of $20 to $200. Earrings with lots of gold and gemstones had much higher asking prices. Doesn't mean the sellers are getting those prices though.

If you like them, give them a gentle wash to remove grime. Don't use a jewelry dip. Don't use a steamer. Just a little soap and water and dry them with a soft towel. Then enjoy wearing them. Yours have a very unusual swirl design that's very cool looking. I wear my mom's teardrop shaped ones occasionally.

Last edited:
Yes, that's how mabe' pearls are made. A shape, in this case a teardrop, is put on the inside of a mollusk along with some mantle tissue. The pearl nacre grows over the shape. When the pearl is harvested, the pearl is cut out of the shell and the shape is removed leaving a dome of pearl nacre that is filled with resin. Then a mother of pearl backing is glued on to seal the back. They give a big pearl look with lighter weight than if it were solid shell or nacre.

Sorry, they're not worth much. My sister and I inherited several pairs of 1990's era mabe' pearl earrings from our mom, and they're not our style. We can't even give them away. Even the pawn shops in my area won't buy them because they can't resell them. They're not vintage enough, yet. I looked on Ebay, and mabe' pearl earrings with no gemstones are in the asking range of $20 to $200. Earrings with lots of gold and gemstones had much higher asking prices. Doesn't mean the sellers are getting those prices though.

If you like them, give them a gentle wash to remove grime. Don't use a jewelry dip. Don't use a steamer. Just a little soap and water and dry them with a soft towel. Then enjoy wearing them. Yours have a very unusual swirl design that's very cool looking. I wear my mom's teardrop shaped ones occasionally.
Ahh thank you 🙏

I think this is “shell” jewelry… kinda like MOP but possibly altered?

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3250.png
    IMG_3250.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
I think this is “shell” jewelry… kinda like MOP but possibly altered?
That doesn't look like "Nautilus Mabe" to me...those are usually refered to as "Osmeñas", used to be made in Spain and were indeed an imitation mabe, but mainly a piece of shell of the Nautilus cephalopod. The other common (much more common these days, since the Nautilus has become so scarce) are "Turbo Mabe", made from the shell of the "Turban Snail".
I have a couple of examples here. The gray one is an Osmeña and the white one is a Turbo.
Osmeña Nautilus Mabe (2).JPG
Turbo Shell imitation Mabe.JPG

Yes, this looks manufactured.
I agree with Jeremy: they look unreal...but not like Turbo or Osmeñas. Wish I could see them up close!
There are waaaay too many Mabe imitations out there!

Back