1000 Natural Pearls

Lagoon Island Pearls

More or less? :cool:

1000pearls03.jpg1000pearls02.jpg1000pearls04.jpg1000pearls01.jpg

California mussel (Mytilus californianus). I've seen multiples before, but this specimen had more than ever.

Pearls of all ages. One year to five or six years.

Too gritty as sushi I take it!

DK :D

Good Lord! What was attacking it? Isn't this one of your experimental shells, that normally live battered by Pacific Coast waves, but you are sheltering?

Looks pretty weird Dave.

Could you please post a pic of one of your shells open with the flesh still in.

A bit of a selfish request, but I'm curious to see one.

Looks pretty weird Dave.

Could you please post a pic of one of your shells open with the flesh still in.

A bit of a selfish request, but I'm curious to see one.

The surface you see on each mantle was against the shell.

Here's a couple pics. (note the byssal cysts)

Attachments

• shell2.jpg
    shell2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 40
  • shell1.jpg
    shell1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 41
Thank you for saying that Amrita. I found the pictures/ situation truly disturbing as in GROSS ME OUT freaked. I know, pearls come from somewhere, but it reminded me of Chicken Pox, just pitiful. I pictured that poor mollusk under attack by an army of something, until cancer was mentioned and that's worse.

I know it's apostasy, but give me a nice clean tissue nucleated pearl any day, over a life and death struggle. I'm a total Wuss. A total WeenieArm.

Thank you for saying that Amrita. I found the pictures/ situation truly disturbing as in GROSS ME OUT freaked. I know, pearls come from somewhere, but it reminded me of Chicken Pox, just pitiful. I pictured that poor mollusk under attack by an army of something, until cancer was mentioned and that's worse.

Mussels don't have brains and as such don't process pain the way we do. This specimen was likely unaware of it's situation, because it had good circulation, was sexually active and feeding normally.

Oh, Dave! LOL!!! Sexually active and eating regularly - "Come to me, my sweet. I have pearls, after supper!"

Thanks for that image! I know I'm totally anthropomorphisizing (anthropomorphizing (?) I'll check; what a challenge spelling that was!), and on that laugh, I'll be able to stomach lunch.

I am still a total Wuss.

Last edited:
Back