What does this tell me?

ifutzwithfire

This is from a batch of cheap FWP. I knew they were cheap, I knew what that meant, and I got what I paid for- which to be fair included quite a few pearls that are quite nice and lustrous, interesting colors which will make a nice piece. This is one of the lesser ones. What I’m wondering about is that sharp transition from one color to another- it almost looks like the lighter color was there and then the golden tone was layered over it and then partially flaked off- but the line is just the color, the nacre isn’t flaking. I can’t feel an edge there with my nail, my mouth, or a blade- I have a few where I can find an edge, and that’s a distinctly different thing.

So what does this tell me? It’s a cheap low-grade pearl, that much I figured out, but I’m trying to understand exactly what *makes* it that. Is it a normal phenomenon for colors to change sharply like this, is it a characteristic of dyeing or some other process, or..? I’m only beginning to learn, that much is probably obvious. Understanding what makes junk junk also helps me understand why the good stuff is the good stuff. I appreciate anyone willing to have patience with me and help me get my head around the basics.
IMG_7014.jpeg

The mussel, and thus the pearl sac, could have been having a bad time (stressed, sick, famine, etc) and the secretion of nacre was mixed in with that of periostracum, thus you end up with pearls mixed in with these protein spots.

Not a science explanation, which Douglas is much more qualified to answer ... but I've heard this sometimes referred to as "pond slime" and it can be iridescent, gilded and beautiful ... at least to some of us :)

Not a science explanation, which Douglas is much more qualified to answer ... but I've heard this sometimes referred to as "pond slime" and it can be iridescent, gilded and beautiful ... at least to some of us :)
It does look gilded, or maybe more accurately bronzed!
In all seriousness, pond slime green is my FAVORITE color. If it doesn’t look like it smells bad, it’s not the right color. 🤣 these, for example, are my favorite pearls ever so far. Literally got them for $2/strand, I assume they’re dyed, and I’m fine with that- dyeing is an art form, I can speak to that from experience, and I’ll take my scummy greens any way I can get them! But they seem like they’re mostly really nice, actually- smooth surface, great luster with that bronze-to-pink iridescence.
IMG_6779.jpeg

IMG_8107.jpegIMG_8124.jpegIMG_8120.jpeg
So here are the finished necklaces I made with the lower grade pearls I was asking about at the beginning- the third image where the larger pearls are more spaced out used the best ones from that strand, and I’ve got about that many with the uneven effect or more substantial blemishes, actual flaking, etc. I’m still going to use them, but I need to figure out the right accompaniments. Originally I’d bought the smaller FWPs from the other strand to be mixed with these larger ones, but once I got them the difference was just a little too stark for me so I made the necklaces sisters rather than twins. The smaller ones are just stunning, especially once I got them in my lightbox and in direct sun. There’s a ton of colors in them! They worked perfectly with the little champagne zircon faceted beads (plus pyrite with the larger pearls) and of course Pattye came through with Serafil in exactly the right colors!

I’m excited. These are all cheap, but they’re a step up from what I’d used before and I’m continuing to seek out something a little nicer with every purchase (and every piece I sell, too, so I can afford more…) and as enthralled as I am with these, I can’t wait to see what’s next!

The mussel, and thus the pearl sac, could have been having a bad time (stressed, sick, famine, etc) and the secretion of nacre was mixed in with that of periostracum, thus you end up with pearls mixed in with these protein spots.
That makes perfect sense, a stressed animal doesn’t have the same resources to put into its nacre. Thanks!

Back