Pearl Stud setting

wyndslash

Community member
Hmm...it might be a weird question but...have you ever noticed from your pearl stud earrings, any bits of glue showing around the base where it's set?

I wear mine almost every day, and I've noticed it just recently. I don't know if it means that my pearl could just come off at anytime or if I should just shrug it off. My mom says I'm just being paranoid.

Since they are studs, taking them off almost always means putting pressure on the pearl and its base.

I wish I could take a pic to show everyone, but my phone's camera just won't focus on such a small item.

I hope someone understood what I just said, haha.

Don't worry about it. Whoever made them should have wiped off the tiny bit of excess glue but it shouldn't affect adhesion. It's the quality of the glue which counts

Don't worry about it. The jeweler should have cleaned up the glue, but having some show won't affect anything. I'd be more concerned if it looked like there wasn't any glue and the pearl looked like it was coming loose.

A little acetone on a q-tip will clean off excess glue. I had an earring that was irritating my year and after looking at them under loops, it was the glue.

Thanks for allaying my concerns, everyone. I brought the earrings to the boutique when we dropped in today to pick up a pendant for my sister. The store manager did a great job cleaning them and they look clean again :)

Glad it was easily resolved. I have a hard time using acetone (nail polish remover) to clean up pearls, but it's really harmless, huh? I always fear I'll take the nacre right off!

Yes, you can clean pearls by wiping with acetone. I've done it
(It's not safe for fake pearls though.)

Back