Your views on a Practical Pearl Ring

New Zealand Natural Pearl

What is a practical Pearl Ring.
The downside of Pearl rings are that they are more easy to damage
than a diamond ring etc. People love their pearl rings
and often they wear them hard, knocking the pearl of
the peg, clean with detergents, gardening etc.
Pearls as a necklace,pendants or earrings are easy as they are not
subject to the same intensity.
Attached is a ring where the pearl sits lower but still looks
great. It is protected at the sides and right around.
Has anyone got any other ideas????? Ring Design Forum.jpg

Ring For Forum 1.jpg

I like the idea of the higher sides on the first photo. Almost, but not quite, a channel set pearl.

Is the drawing a bezel setting for a pearl? I love the look of bezels! My wedding ring is a 3 stone ring of 2 bezeled sapphires and a bezeled diamond.

One setting that I remember being similar to one my mom had that held a gorgeous pearl is one very similar to this Lotus setting. To give credit where due - I found this setting on Etsy by a designer named HeartofWaterJewels. (Caitlin, if I should not post a photo from another site, please delete my message and send me a PM to help me learn...

Seeing it, and being reminded of the ring my mom had and my dad passed on to his sister as a memory of her, has me thinking I should find a beautiful SS pearl and have one commissioned.

Attachments

• Lotus setting.jpg
    Lotus setting.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 40
That is a great design and opens up a lot of possibilities.
Would show a pearl off well. The sketch isnt bezzel set
but pinned with a gap between the pearl and surround.
This Poppy and Pearl design shows the pearl off well
but also protects it.Poppy and Pearl.jpg

poppy and Pearl 1.jpg

The first ring is beautiful and as practical as it can be for a round pearl. The most practical pearl ring I don't believe is a round or baroque pearl or setting. It is a keishi, mabe, blister, stick, coin or some other shape. Also, those shapes tend to give better iridescence.

The first ring is beautiful and as practical as it can be for a round pearl. The most practical pearl ring I don't believe is a round or baroque pearl or setting.

Absolutely! the 2/3 of the pearl in this beautiful ring is exposed to damage.

Here is more protective setting..... (I'm considering to change the mabe for Eyris.)

my ring.jpg

Not in the least bit round, I designed these with the gold wrapped around the pearls. They still stick out at the ends, but having worn one of them as a prototype, it does not seem to have come to much harm.

Attachments

• small0034.jpg
    small0034.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 35
  • small014.jpg
    small014.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 42
Purlgurl--I've been curious about the rings in your avatar! LOVE the wrapping design--for me, just trade the diamonds for some colored sapphires, ;) adore those baroque pearls, are they fw?

Nora, Eyris would be amazing in that setting, which is droolable itself as is--22k?

NZNP-Yes, that protected setting, first photo, is about as good as it gets for rounds, I could easily slip it right on my finger, feeling how smooth and pleasantly weighty it is--------worth taking a little extra care when wearing. The poppy design ring is gorgeous, that petite pearl is so bright it really catches the eye! Is it in sterling or fine silver, or white gold?

Knotty-a pearl would be wonderful in that setting, thanks for bringing that great shop to my attention--they have some amazing jewelry!

Purlgurl, I like your wrapping design very much, it looks interesting and original.

Yes Pattye, the ring is 22kt, I bought it at auction a year ago.
The mabe is rather dull and from the beginning I was thinking of Eyris.
The problem is that it would be difficult to buy exactly what I want from here.

Nora, yes, I suppose you would almost have to send the ring to Eyris, to get the perfect size replacement pearl------oh, the fun of choosing between any number of those beauties!

or a "short" trip to NZ...... :)

Purlgurl -- GORGEOUS! Nora -- yes. Eyris, no question about it!

OOOOOH! Thank you! I am honoured, I have just spent a few hours wandering about here in raptures over your pearls Jeremy, and feeling very much like a small fish in a huge ocean. But passion is passion, one pearl at a time. (I just dream about being passionate with strands.... ropes..... instead of one at a time.)

Purlgurl, I join the choir or enthusiasts - what an original modern design!
Stiil question unanswered: is it a FW pearl there?

NZNP: just for the collection of 'protected' pearls:

The first one is ring with a kasumi pearl from Sarah.
The second is a Bulgary ring with a large akoya pearl.

Kasumiring2-vi.jpg

Akoyaring-vi.jpg

Just this: a practical pearl ring holds pearls of 6mm or less.
[NB. referring to round pearls, or thickness of other shapes]

Amended by: If (much) larger, then the ring has an alternative use - say, as a pendant - to fill in more wear time and claim the title.

Decree applicable to issuer only. Enforceable by gravity and other forces that may apply, and the physical properties of concentrically deposited nacre...

In this, I take 'practical' to mean 'very wearable' within the usual tolerance of fine jewelry. The proposition is simply recognizing that there sure are places hands go and rings shouldn't be asked to follow... [thinking of worst in my record: a pearl would need a submarine-setting to survive fruit tree spraying operations! Construction work? - better be reinforced Kevlar. Also advisable for roaming library stacks. Russian sauna? - that and GPS. Mid-day sun in Dobrogea - not sure. etc.]

A thick gold band [stats: Au 24kt, 6 x 2 x 70mm, pipe cut, open crossover] does go all these places. It looks like the map of Mars by now. But, that's the point - I keep it to see which one of us gets old faster ;) [looks like I'm winning this one!]

Just this: a practical pearl ring holds pearls of 6mm or less. [NB. referring to round pearls, or thickness of other shapes]

I would agree with that. My comment before in this thread was addressing the setting. Now, I'm talking materials. Pearls make rings impractical. There is always going to be that instance where the pearl ring has to be removed as opposed to a hard gemstone ring which can withstand handwashing, and other routine tasks.

Pearl rings, just aren't practical. Unless the owner isn't concerned about replacing the pearl periodically, they aren't practical. Beautiful, but not practical.

Back