What size pearls for this clasp please?

dkan 168

The clasp in question is for a double strand, overall size of the clasp is quoted as 19.4mm diameter in the KGH's catalogue.

attachment.php

I would like to show off the clasp and wear it on the side rather than at the back.

Would 9-9.5mm dwarf the clasp, or should I go for 8-9mm?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

DK :)

I think this is one where you need to use some pearls and see what looks right - for size and maybe for colour too. It looks like a lovely clasp

Thanks Wendy for your advice.

I thought about that too, however, I don't fancy taking apart necklaces in order to see which size fits better. :eek:

Perhaps it would be helpful to know how many mm between the loops. The pearls need to lay nicely next to each other. The radius of the pearls should be no larger than half the space between the loops, or they would be crowded, and might not sit correctly. I agree, lovely clasp.

You would not need to take anything apart, just offer up some ends of strands to the clasp, that will give you a good sense of the proportions and look of the various permutations

I put the clasp against a double strand of 10mm cheapo CFWP this morning, and they look a tad too big for it.

Don't know what colour pearls yet, more likely to be white, to replace the double I sold recently.

This time it will be for a happy occasion than a sad one - my big 50 in less than 3 years' time, woo hoo!

DK :cool:

read this a couple of times.... and then Pattye's comments made it fall into place

is this the '50th' 2015 necklace from the previous thread - or a/an other ?

read this a couple of times.... and then Pattye's comments made it fall into place

is this the '50th' 2015 necklace from the previous thread - or a/an other ?

This is a replacement for the strand I have sold, hopefully with bigger pearls. :cool:

Seems to me that the clasp, which is really lovely, would stand out a bit more if the pearls are a bit smaller - like 9mm at the most. It's barely 2cm wide so I'd think you'd want it to be a bit wider that the double strands. I think the idea of laying out the strands next to it or under it is the the best idea to get some perspective. Will be very pretty when you've finished..I do love a bit of bling! :D

For this clasp I would use 8mm metallic luster FW or if I had extra money, Akoyas. Pearls should not be too big, but they have to shine....

Hmmm, need to see if budget can stretch to Akoyas, as the devil in me would probably like to have natural untreated Hanadamas. Like the idea of metallics though, however, I'd like to replace the double strand that I have sold with another double strand of Freshadamas.

oooooh...... the devil in you does love her pearls

that would be some necklace !!

My biggest vice is jewellery, and pearls offer much greater impact than diamonds and fine gemstones. I can't afford a pair of 2 x 2ct diamond studs, however, I can afford a pair of 12mm blue Tahitian studs.

What's not to like about pearls?

DK :D

Back