What do you think these are?

Bacca

I'm partial to vintage jewelry so I often cruise eBay. Here are two items that intrigued me. I corresponded with each seller and they both seemed honest. Although I wound up not bidding on either, I'm still curious about what kind of pearls these might be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=220727947859&si=W7KmLumVuOVLMHaxyUWHJKwbppY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This seller didn't know the answers to some questions I asked and ended the auction early to do more research. He did confirm that the sizes are correct as listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250765682999&si=W7KmLumVuOVLMHaxyUWHJKwbppY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This seller had no more information than in the listing. S/he was selling them for a relative who bought the pearls at an estate sale. The seller did offer to accept a return.

So, what do you think?

The first item looks like fake pearls. I don't see any knots between the pearls, and the clasp does not look like gold to me. I am no vintage pearl jewelry expert but the graduation of the pearls looks suspicious too.

The second item is made of real pearls. Real freshwater pearls that is.

Thank you!

The first item looks like fake pearls.

That's my guess, too. The clasp looks modern and, since it tested gold, could be plated and whoever tested didn't go far enough to get to the base metal. I think the pearls are too big for akoya and, if the date is right, too early for CFW or South Seas.

I loved the second necklace, but I have very little experience with SS. These seemed small enough to suggest being cautious. Is it the shape that says freshwater? I checked PP and these didn't look like any of the South Seas pearls there.

I agree with Effisk on the first one. It looks like a standard Japanese graduated strand at first, but when examined close, it looks like a strand of fake pearls. Also, the size the seller gives must be off. If his sizing is correct, fake for sure.

The second strand is a baroque akoya strand, not a South Sea or freshwater. The Chinese used to call their akoya (some still do) South Sea, thinking because the pearls are sea pearls and they are grown in the south of China it is ok.

The second strand is a baroque akoya strand, not a South Sea or freshwater. The Chinese used to call their akoya (some still do) South Sea, thinking because the pearls are sea pearls and they are grown in the south of China it is ok.
Akoyas did not even cross my mind. I actually did not look very closely, even though upon closer inspection I would not have said akoya. Not used to seeing akoyas with such thick nacre.

Hi all,

I have an Art deco Paste pearl neckace listed within the last 24 hours and I am positive they are Akoya Pastels. In my opinion they just don't come much better. As the strand was so short at around 15" I held on to them for several years waiting for those few extra perfect pearls to come along and finally I found them. Hence a necklace, finally, at a wearable lengthy. The pearls are Pinks, 'Blue, Gold, Whites and the clasp is Platinum with 7 really nice diamonds not that we as pearl lovers care about that. But as an enhancement they can be great.

Will incude 2 or 3 photos for your enjoyment, hopefully :)

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• size for PF.JPG
    size for PF.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi all, meant to mention that the reason I mentioned these pearls or particular necklace is because for Akoya they are very good size being mostly around 9mm and then near the clasp 8 mm. That is a very good size for Akoya.

For a while I thought they must be smaller South Sea pearls but I do believe they are excellent vintate Akoyas.

At the time I bought these, years back, I had not realised that it was possible to buy or for cultivated to produce Pastel Akoyas so they really did confuse me

and I thought I might have naturals or SS or some other exotic pearls :)

Dawn - Bodecia

Thanks pattye,

I love this pearl necklace and it has been a tug to list it but we have to part with most of our beauties when we are sellers. I just never got the chance to even wear them as before adding a few pearls I the strand was just way to small for me. Thanks for forgiving me for the diamond/platinum clasp too :) I believe it really is perfect for them and is original so just must be right!!

I have so been concentrating on my natural pearl collection that I knew I would have to part with virtually all my cultured pearl necklaces. Have only held one back. Big baroque 10mm plus Akoyas. Will have to put up a photo of them. They are real stunners and I love baroques.

Dawn - Bodecia

The pearls are lovely, Dawn, thank you for sharing them. Now, I like diamond clasps--for contrast, you know. :)

I'm looking forward to pictures of your big baroques!

Back