Vintage Pearls

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
A shop within walking distance of me opened up a couple of weeks ago. They purchase estate pieces for resale. Not really expecting to see anything of any consequence, I went in the shop to introduce myself and told the owner if he got in some pearls, let me know.

I was surprised to see he had, indeed, taken in some pearls. Madoff made a killing in this area and people are liquidating anything they even think might have some value.

He had a strand of akoyas, bad quality, bead showing, but nice clasp -- platinum fishhook with diamond a sapphires for $350. I thought the clasp was worth the price.

Then I spied a cultured silver blue akoya cluster ring in 14kt yellow gold with about eight 5-6MM pearls in a vintage setting. $400. He said I could take pics to show here. It's unusual. I think that price was good too.

He also had a platinum tahitian ring in a ballerina setting. Nothing special about it. I didn't ask how much because he was fascinated that I could identify cultured.

Then he called his partner and asked "where's that tahitian." Apparently his partner took in a natural tahitian pendant about 12-13MM. We shall see. He's going to bring it in for me to look at. I'll take pics.

Considering the climate down here, anything's possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. Plus my definition of natural might be in a whole 'nuther ballpark than his. We shall see. I'll post pics regardless. Good for a laugh.

Could it be that he's confusing the term natural to mean natural color?

Definitely interested in seeing some of those pictures- how generous of him to let you post!

Back