• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

The Marquis of Fashion Decrees: Pearl Lapel Pins are IN

AMc

McA
So, this was a fun collaboration that I thought I'd share. Men's pearl jewelry doesn't really have a lot of options, but I think (I hope!) that this takes off just a tiny bit :)

I got together with Mark St. James, the Marquis of Fashion to create a Tahitian Pearl Lapel Pin recently. He's been looking for something "unique and dapper", something new to sport around town. What do you guys think? Is this a win?

mens-black-tahitian-baroque-pearl-lapel-pin.jpg

It started out as a couple of sketches that I did for him here

St-James-Sketches-011.jpg
St-James-Sketches-003.jpg
St-James-Sketches-005.jpg
St-James-Sketches-007.jpg

After the designs were approved, we sent it off to the goldsmith to have these pins made. I created 3 versions: Tahitian, White South Sea and Golden South Sea (I think I like the White South Sea version the best myself...)

800x400-WG.jpg

800x400-GSS-YG.jpg

800x400-Blk-WG.jpg

Guys, I'd love to know what you think! Would you sport the Lapel Pin?

juliebeth

omg i JUST acquired one of these from Kojima - a bronze-y oval tahitian, and i've been pinning it to EVERYTHING. definitely a style i want to see come back! also b/c i'm not sure what to do with mine other than a lapel or to jauntify a hat. need more ideas.

LOVE these, the 14k is so classy - and i believe my favorite would be either SSP! maybe both at once on the same lapel for a more playful look. or the black pearl and the white pearl on a herringbone/tweed suit.

AMc

McA
Very cool! I'd love to see some pictures of yours - Sarah has the most beautiful pearls! :)

CathyKeshi

And what a fabulous way to anchor a flower or 2 as a wedding boutinierre!!! A "usage" shot suggesting that should have brides to be breaking down your door :)

Tucs

I love them! All three of them.

In fact I think I have a vintage (or even antique) one from my great grandfather.

Last edited:

Happy Huku

And what a fabulous way to anchor a flower or 2 as a wedding boutinierre!!! A "usage" shot suggesting that should have brides to be breaking down your door :)

I agree with CathyKeshi, what a way to go for wedding wear - a pearly bride and groom and entourage!

They all look great, tahitian very guy wearable everywear though my favourite is the WSS.

Red

Good grief. I had just seen the photograph of juliebeth's lapel pin yesterday, and thinking how nice, I would definitely wear one. This morning I received a loose Tahitian from the PP Black Friday sale, and it is the perfect size and shape for a lapel pin.

And, here you are, making lapel pins. Would you make one with the customer's pearl?

cmd2014

Love them! I wouldn't want to put a hole through my clothes though (so I dont wear pins).

lisa c

Perpetual Pearl Student
What did guys use them for in the olden days? Any purpose besides display?

juliebeth

noone wear suits anymore (er, not that often unless they're the c-level type), and certainly not hats other than baseball or trucker caps. alas, the death of the lapel pin. which is why i'm wearing mine right now on my sweatshirt. i am jaunty, indeed!

here's where my kojima pin photobombed the photo of the strand i was photographing at the time...
IMG_0571.jpg

juliebeth

ashley, i LOVE THE DRAWINGS for the design etc. you've done! those alone are mini works of art. i assume you're also an artist? Love those, you could probably charge extra to send those along with any special creations. :) (ok, i'd bite, er, buy!)

Last edited:

AMc

McA
Hi Red,

Yes I certainly would! PM me, and I'll send you an order form, and we'll go from there! :)

Thanks Juliebeth! Yes, I was an art major in college before deciding that Jewelry was really the career of my dreams. I do include original drawings for custom design clients at no extra charge - it's a little special something that commemorates the design process I think. A nice keepsake. :) I do take scans of all the sketches first for my files though. :)

Getting those 'in-situ' shots for the brides and grooms is an EXCELLENT idea! Love it, love it, love it! I can only imagine the reaction on Pinterest, etc. Now I have to find models lol!

AMc

McA
Juliebeth, love the lapel pin - that looks really great! Nice color, too! I love a good pistachio! :)

dkan 168

I have a business formal wardrobe with tailored suits and jackets, and a pearl lapel pin will be a good alternative to my collection of brooches.

Thanks peeps for the inspirations.

DK :)

Katbran

It's so funny ..after I read this and posted .. John and I wandered down,the road for a coffee and to poke around in the shops. ( we are in Canberra for a weeks break as my youngest son had his admittance to the bar ceremony over here - that's the final step to being a practicing lawyer) So john noticed the Hugo Boss store ..in we went .. What did I see????? LAPEL PINS ...all sorts of lapel pins ...silk flowers , rolled leather circles .. So many ...ALL for men ! Well you could have knocked me over with a silk cravat ! They were all intended for the button hole in the lapel .. They were so cute ! Again .. Not for my boys .. But damn cute !

So you are on the right track with this Ashley ! And I too love the drawings ..thanks so much for showing the process of the design ! Really cool !