Tahitian pendant and earrings for "milestone" birthday?

Fidgetnator

My first post after being a long-time lurker! This group offers incredible information and I've learned so much from you all. As well as envied your beautiful pearls. Now, I think it's time I take the plunge and am looking for advice.

I'm considering a Taihitian drop pendant and earrings for my upcoming birthday (it's a big one with a "6" in it). I want a statement-size pendant so I'm thinking 14mm? And for earrings, no larger than 9mm for comfort. Opinions?

As I contact online retailers (no significant pearl dealers in my area), what would be the best terms to convey what I'm looking for? I'm drawn to blue/green body color--definitely no silver--with a yellow gold setting. Anything else I should request?

I'm open to baroque if a perfect plump drop is out of my price range. I appreciate any advice and feedback, and thanks again for all the education you provide!
J.

Welcome Fidgetnator!
I would request more pictures of the pendant and earrings, with different lighting and different angles.
I hope you post pictures when you find something you like or receive your Tahitians :).

Welcome ! I think your pearl size is right 14mm+ will get you a nice big pendant! Do go for lustre over size though ! A 12mm high lustre will look much nicer than a 14mm with average lustre. Just look at lots of pearls and get a feel for the difference in colours and lustre. And a very Happy Birthday !!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday! You may want to consider an enhancer instead of a standard bail so you can use the drop on a variety of necklaces, including pearls. Most stores selling pearls know how to photograph them to show their colors, but when you get them, the colors will vary according to the light hitting the pearl, so play around with the pearl before deciding if you like it or not.

Congratulations on your upcoming 16th! :cool:

That's the number I was thinking :)

Happy Birthday! When I turned the number you are I bought my dream strand pearls. It's wonderful to see them now and still get a thrill when I wear them. I wish you the same with your new pearls.

Happy bday!!!
For such a fab milestone you deserve a big big big pendant. 14 or 15 mm peacock on a yellow gold diamond accented bail maybe? Or a round one as a center of maybe flower shaped yellow gold setting? I think yellow gold will contrast the black pearl. As for earring I like dangle better than studs. N go big as well. 9 mm is so small..atleast 11 mm haha. Dont forget to post pics of ur pearlies when U got it!

I found that Tahitians always looked underwhelming in the box when I opened it. Then I put them on. Wow! They need to be seen on skin to really pop.

Kamoka has some gorgeous pendants and enhancers.

I found that Tahitians always looked underwhelming in the box when I opened it. Then I put them on. Wow! They need to be seen on skin to really pop.

Kamoka has some gorgeous pendants and enhancers. I find their photos are very accurate as to what the pearls look like in real life. And the pearls in the photo are the ones you are going to get.

Quick update: the hunt has commenced! I'm working with Erin at PP and the process is very exciting.

Plus, it has occurred to me that Christmas is just 3 months away . . . and our anniversary is in April . . . so more opportunities to build a collection are not far away! This is how it all starts, isn't it?
J.

Quick update: the hunt has commenced! I'm working with Erin at PP and the process is very exciting.

Plus, it has occurred to me that Christmas is just 3 months away . . . and our anniversary is in April . . . so more opportunities to build a collection are not far away! This is how it all starts, isn't it?
J.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to photos of your purchases.

As for this is how it all starts, yes, but now I buy pearls whenever I want, special occasion or not.

Lol, when you start to think about when the next holiday/birthday/anniversary gift occasion is coming up, you know you have the bug. I selected my gift for our October anniversary in March, and my Christmas gift in July. When I see something that speaks to me, I get it while it is available and then tell DH his shopping for the next occasion is done, lol.

14-15 mmm is my favorite size for a pendant drop. For dangly earrings, 11-12 mm is my favorite size drop, although I also have 10-11 mm drops that look quite nice.

Another update: pendant and earrings have been ordered! I'm going with a 14mm baroque for the pendant and 9mm baroque earrings. I will post photos once I receive them. So excited!!!! And thanks to Erin at PP for all her assistance and patience.
J.

I looked forward to seeing your birthday pearls :).

I'm excited for you, too. I can't wait to see your goodies.

Back