sweet little seed pearl ring

elisa

I just got into my top choice phd program (with full funding!), so I immediately decided to use some of my future stipend money to buy myself a pretty present (duh! what else would I do?). Obviously, it needed to involve pearls.

specs: 15k gold, four little seed pearls, 2 tiny diamonds, hallmarked 1893.

I picked it up today after having it resized:

Attachments

• my_ring.jpg
    my_ring.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 28
Elise, that is really pretty. These little late Victorian rings are so delicate, and distinctive
well done on the Phd programme, and you can now look around for a big present for Dr Elise in due course!

Congratulations, elisa! It is a beautiful ring and a lovely memento of a special time in your life.

thank you my pearly friends! :)

I love pearl jewelry with some history, and I especially love having a good excuse to buy some.

Pattye, I'm off to the University of Chicago to study economics. When I'm not modeling pearls in front of the mirror, I'm modeling labor markets. Sexy, I know. I think I have the least glamorous day-job on pearl-guide!

Congrats. Elisa on your success.
And the ring is beautiful - looks to be in good condition too. :)

Pattye, I'm off to the University of Chicago to study economics. ... I'm modeling labor markets. Sexy, I know. I think I have the least glamorous day-job on pearl-guide!

Chicago Econ!? Congratulations! :cool:

Glamorous or not, that makes at least two of us on PG (economists, that is; I am no longer into academic research except for the odd conference paper...). Are you planning to go with the same specialization? I do not meet too many labour market buffs anymore.

That's a very lovely little ring. Congratulations on all fronts!

Elisa--don't sell yourself short! In a sense, economics underlies all that happens in the world. Even in the natural world--ecology is the economics of nature. Most of us are, will be or have been a part of the labor market. It is a subject that is important to us all. Good luck in your studies. The U of Chicago is a very good school. You can be proud of yourself!

all this economics love! thanks guys! too bad I am horrible at macroeconomics, and cannot get us out of this current mess.

Valeria--you are an economist! How grand! I take back what I said, then--the profession is glamorous in its own way :)

yes, my main field will be labor (+ a dash of public finance), with an emphasis on education/human capital, family labor supply, and gender gaps.

Last edited:
...Even in the natural world--ecology is the economics of nature. ..

If you think so, you might be glad to find COMPANY. And lots of it!
I am not too familiar with the society - met one of the members a while back and your post reminded me of the exotic group.

Pearling would make a hell of a subject from this perspective... wouldn't it!

Last edited:
My undergrad mentors were Claudia Goldin and Caroline Hoxby, and their work (especially Claudia's) has shaped my interests tremendously.

How's that for a good start! Especially now that the brad & butter applied labour micro seems to be holding the headlines on your side of the pond... I am just old enough to remember what a similar wave of reforms did to the field in Europe, if you will catch a similar period throughout your doctorate, you're in for a ride (not that an Econ doctorate isn't a ride anyway, Yay!). Good for you! :cool:

I think I met Goldin ages ago during a fellowship (water-cooler circumstances), but never followed the domain much. I have Alan Manning to thank for the only labour course I still remember, and the introduction to search theory which proved useful ever since.

Congratulations Elisa! Lovely ring, perfect compliment to an adventure in Chicago. Beware the food!!! :eek: (and I mean that in the nicest way...)

Elisa, warmest congratulations from this side of the globe, too... very well done - you have glamour, style, AND brains!! Great combination!
Beautiful ring, and good on you for spending your stipend on pearls... (I mean, what else would you do with it..? eat...?)

Elisa, warmest congratulations from this side of the globe, too... very well done - you have glamour, style, AND brains!! Great combination!
Beautiful ring, and good on you for spending your stipend on pearls... (I mean, what else would you do with it..? eat...?)

I second Nerida and all other PGers - congratulations on both accounts!:)

thank you all for your kind comments, about the ring and about chicago! as usual, pg proves itself full of wonderful people, not just wonderful pearls ;)

Elisa, wonderful job and beautiful ring! My daughter who is just about your age is in Chicago. She just returned from the UK with a Masters in International Journalism. You have lots in common.

Back