Sources for findings in EU

Dizzie

Dear forum members,

Hopefully you can help me - i am looking for a source of buying the findings. Ideally in EU in order to avoid customs clearance issues. Especially earring findings and ring mountings would be of interest.

Thanks

What sort of material, sterling silver, gold filled, real gold etc. etc.?

Have a look at the offerings at Cooksongold.com

DK :)

Thank you, DK, i will check this site.

I am looking for sterling silver or 14k gold.

Also if you have any hints on some more "crafty" sources, they would be highly appreciated. Crafty in a sence that e.g. Earring findings that would be not the simple styles, but more unique looking ones. Hmmm, hope you know what i mean...

Hi,

I live in Denmark and I use Etsy a lot. The small sellers here put their things in a simple envalope and I've never had problems with geering my stuff through. Just stay away from signed-for mail. Some of the sellers are based in Europe too.

- Karin

Hi Dizzie and welcome to the forum.
One of the basics of the European Union is that goods can travel freely across member state borders- no added customs charges. That means, KarinK, that you don't need to resort to simple envelopes. Your purchases travel to you without added customs duty etc by law.
You do have to pay any sales tax or VAT which is due in the seller's state though.
(It's another requirement of EU law that insured signed for mail is available for sending goods - vital for sellers, since ordinary mail isn't insured and if an item gets lost we sellers are out the cost of replacing it and the added postage)

Thank you Wendy and KarinK

KarinK, are there any specific etsy sellers you could recommend?

Thanks

Hi Dizzie and welcome to the forum.
One of the basics of the European Union is that goods can travel freely across member state borders- no added customs charges. That means, KarinK, that you don't need to resort to simple envelopes. Your purchases travel to you without added customs duty etc by law.

Hi Wendy,

Most of the findings I buy through Etsy are sent from outside of the EU. When I purchase with non-signed for shipping I accept the risk that the items can disappear on the way though it has never happened to me. The lower limit for paying tax and VAT is $15. What handmade and vintage findings I buy at Etsy are up to $50. Adding $28 in signed-for shipping plus $25 in fees and an additional 25% of the total cost plus shipping is simply too much of an extra cost. The items are unique and can not be found in the EU and so I take my chances with the simple envelope in order to make one-of-a-kind pieces :)

- Karin

Okay KarinK, I misunderstood your post.
Doesn't the seller still carry the risk of loss though? I don't know how it works from the US but if I ship findings by ordinary Royal Mail or even signed for (not insured) then if they get lost I have to replace them and I'm also out the shipping (Royal Mail does not cover as standard silver, gold or precious stones) It's silly in the extreme as one pair of basic silver pearl cups costs ?1.20 and they expect me to special delivery (courier and insurance) for ?6.10! AND they would only reimburse me the wholesale price!

Another outlet to try is Beadworks.co.uk

DK :)

Back