something to refine 2 mm holed pearls

ckrickett

I came across a lot of ss pearls with big drill holes, the prices were great so I bought them, but I really don't like big holed pearls. I was wondering if there was something I could put in the pearl to make the holed smaller, or make it look more refined. similar to what they put on glass beads for the pandora style charm bracelets.

Size 11 Miyuki Delica seed beads have and od of 1.72mm and an id of 0.6mm. You might try lining the interior of your pearls with these and then knotting as usual (maybe with 3 strands of Beader's Secret)… Not a guaranteed solution, but worth a try :)

I was thinking of stringing them. They are white sip pearls and they are pretty, some are dimply but for the price I can make a fun strand. that being said if I were to end cap them I may wire wrap instead. or use large spacer beads

You might also try 3-4mm saucer shape or round spacer beads as they would settle down into the 2mm hole and be held tight by the wire wrapping or knotting. The hole in those spacer beads is often less than 1mm. Of course, leather or ultra suede cord is always an option with a 2mm opening. The pearls sound like a really great find!

RIO also sells grommets that are 3mm OD which should fit most large holed pearls and give you that finished look. I've been looking for the grommets to use on single pearls strung to float on a chain. I agree with you, why is the drilling on large hole pearls so messy and rough? It's like the drillers are mad at the pearls. I've been using an electric reamer and working with standard drilled pearls to enlarge the hole. This results in a much nicer and cleanly finished drill hole.

I've been following this thread hoping to find a solution for 2mm holes on pearls. When I bought ten of white and silver toned T's for my B&W choker project I had a dyslexic moment and agreed on 12 gauge holes because i saw 21 :mad: I've tried stringing it regularly with one knot and gluing it in place but it didn't look pretty so I redid it and knotted thrice. It's looks sloppy. I am now thinking of using 1mm leather in black or other colours if you prefer. I think 1mm leather will be enough so the pearls will stay in place without looking too casual.

Have you considered a Tin Cup or scattered Pear necklace. We use gold filled 1.9mm rollo chain. This gives holes in chain big enough for wire to pass through. Then we use about 25mm space between the pearls
LLoyd

Back