Solid gold or gold filled chain for tin cup

kalmen22

Hi all, I was thinking of making a tin cup and was looking around for chains.
The price of solid gold chains are much higher than I expected. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for white gold colour or silver.
Any vendor or store you've bought before and would recommend?
Thank u

kalmen22, in general gold prices have come down a bit this year, but again on the rise now. Have you checked the selection of RioGrande? They have gold chains by foot in different price ranges. I wouldn't use gold-plated anywhere unless it's truly necessary (like you need a very wide chain and the real gold one will cost a few thousand in itself). Hope this helps)

Gold-filled, because the layer of gold is fused to the base metal and required to be a percentage of the total weight, will last many years and is quite affordable. Buy only from a reputable company, though to be assured of quality. I haven't found white gold-filled products, however.

Argentium silver is more tarnish resistant than sterling silver. Some chains are rhodium plated for tarnish resistance. You also might consider if you like the look, chain with dark patina (oxidized).

I tend to like heavier chain which in solid gold would be a small fortune!

Companies I check out first are Rio Grande and Stuller.

A fun project, looking forward to seeing your necklace!

I always get gold filled and gold plated confused. I need a good mnemonic for remembering which one is the good one and which one is the cheap one.

Um, let's see:

Filled = Full.
Plates = Flat.

Does anyone have a better mnemonic?

P.S. My all time favorite mnemonic was from my Mom. Stalactites vs. stalagmites. Tites hang down.

Personally I like cheaper the material the better since I often tear things apart and rework them.
I know some ladies are good at collecting the parts and reselling them back to the vendors.
For me, it is just easier to work with cheaper materials unless I know it's not going to change for a long time!
I use silver and gold-filled. For crimping beads I will even use base metals!

I like to use gold filled and silver, too. Clasps and crimps too. I buy gold filled and sterling silver (and argentium) wire to make my own findings as well. I wouldn't be able to afford to make much if I bought solid gold components.
And yes, I often take things apart and redo them, too.

If you want the look of white gold, I'd go with rhodium-plated silver. I think a lot of places rhodium plate their silver so it ends up being the some color as white gold. Rio and Bella Findings come to mind.

White gold is rhodium plated, too, to make it bright white. If you saw white gold without the rhodium plating, it's actually pale yellow.

If cost is the concern, I'd also recommend going with gold filled. Gold is a commodity, so nearly every wholesale chain supplier is close to identical in price. Any with prices that don't make sense (below gold cost) would be selling something other than gold. It's like cash. The only way you will get a deal on a $20 or a $100 bill is if it is counterfeit, like the "gold" sold so openly on eBay - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?364

kalmen22, in general gold prices have come down a bit this year, but again on the rise now. Have you checked the selection of RioGrande? They have gold chains by foot in different price ranges. I wouldn't use gold-plated anywhere unless it's truly necessary (like you need a very wide chain and the real gold one will cost a few thousand in itself). Hope this helps)

I checked prices yesterday and gold was up over $1300/oz.
I suggest that you also check out pawn shops for broken chains sold as scrap. Often, they will sell those at a slight premium. You're going to end up cutting up the chain anyway, so it might be worth a look...but be prepared and know what scrap is going for!

If cost is the concern, I'd also recommend going with gold filled. Gold is a commodity, so nearly every wholesale chain supplier is close to identical in price. Any with prices that don't make sense (below gold cost) would be selling something other than gold. It's like cash. The only way you will get a deal on a $20 or a $100 bill is if it is counterfeit, like the "gold" sold so openly on eBay - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?364

I agree that you must know your source for gold!
Another suggestion I have is look in your own jewelry box...do you have an old gold chain that you no longer wear? Maybe because it's too short? or too long? I would say that a solid portion of my custom work is done restyling chains into tin cups, and other designs.

Thank u all for your suggestions. Am busy looking at the different sites and also good idea on checking my jewellery box for unworn chain... I thought I had one that I stopped using coz the clasp was broken. Need to find.
Thank u all!

I realised that I actually like the rhodium color n not white gold (which is yellowish as Bweaves has mentioned) so I tend to buy rhodium plated silver stuff nowadays. No point spending on gold when I'll never see it under the plating if it makes sense? And I haven't seen white gold filled items before...

If you want a cheaper gold option locally, maybe can try Maxicash or Moneymax? There is a Maxicash store near my office. Lemme know if you want me to pop by and check for you.

Does anyone know where I can find a yellow gold filled orbit like clasp? I want to make a lariat necklace and want to open ends and like the clean, light look of the orbit clasp. It doesn't have to be an orbit clasp, but one with a push in clasp is ideal. I'm always worried the clasps that open outward might fail if pulled hard.

Gold filled works for me. My skin is so acidic that most gold plated clasps wear off in a day or two. Plus, I like the soft finish on most gold-filled pieces. Wish I had some old chains to cut up - mostly square snake chains I don't use now that wouldn't work. :)

I've looked high and low for gold filled orbit-like clasps. without success. Rio Grande and Fire Mountain Gems have gold plated ones. (I don't buy gold plated; the color wears off too fast.)

How do you find vermeil wears on you, GemGeek? I think it might not be as durable as gold filled but have not tested it; I only have a few vermeil Bali-type spacers.

Does anyone know where I can find a yellow gold filled orbit like clasp? I want to make a lariat necklace and want to open ends and like the clean, light look of the orbit clasp. It doesn't have to be an orbit clasp, but one with a push in clasp is ideal. I'm always worried the clasps that open outward might fail if pulled hard.

I've been searching as well and haven't had any success. Would love to know if anyone found some!

I used Gold Filled all the time. I've got gold filled beads that are 10 years old and look the same. It's a great way to try out a design ...if you don't like the look or decide you need different spacing , it's no big deal. Once you get it perfect you can always order real gold later. . Or keep using the GF .. looks like 14kt anyways . Don't get plate. I use Vermeil if I have to to keep the price down on wire wrapped inexpensive gems etc but never plain gold plated chain. ( Vermeil is plate over Sterling) .

I use GF anytime the cost would blow out on less expensive pearls. There is no point is putting real gold with lesser pearls . I also use fine silver or Sterling. I get chain from Rio , Stuller or CGM or Bella .

I use Argentium as well since it's tarnish resistant , Fine Silver doesn't tarnish as it's like 99.9% silver - however it's very soft so doesn't suit all uses. It's what I use for Bezels etc . I wish Argentium clasps etc were more common here .. I don't know what it's like in the states. I'm still using up my stash of Sterling lol

Back