simple necklace from pp beading lot

elisa

I sorted the best of the white pearls from my lot of drilled rounds into a graduated necklace-- dainty 6mm up to big-fat-9ish. They are all round/very near round, and so clean, it is clear some were leftover freshadamas. I was so impressed by the quality of the lots Jeremy sent us!

I was not brave enough to knot them myself, so I had a jeweler do it for me. He also made the clasp, which is sterling with a little pearl. He loved my pearls-- he took one look and said how very, very nice they were.

I thought for a while that graduated necklaces seemed a bit old-fashioned, but I have certainly changed my mind. I love my new necklace, and it is perfect for daywear. I think graduated pieces should make a come-back!

Attachments

• london january 158.JPG
    london january 158.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 29
  • graduated pearls 018.JPG
    graduated pearls 018.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
  • graduated pearls 011.JPG
    graduated pearls 011.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 32
Oh wow, that is so beautiful; I love graduated pearls! Very classy

If we spread around your photo, graduated pearls are sure to take off! Looks terrific. ;)

Oh GREAT. Am I going to need a graduated necklace now TOO??? ;-)

It's gorgeous on you, truly!!

Oh GREAT. Am I going to need a graduated necklace now TOO??? ;-)

It's gorgeous on you, truly!!

Think of yourself as a collector. It's going to happen one way or another, eventually. Why not embrace it? :D

she's right! embrace it. i think my pearl collection quintupled since i came across this board just over a year ago...thankfully, there's enough sound advice to go around that building up a pretty collection doesn't (necessarily) mean breaking the bank.

Over Christmas, my grandma showed me her delicate little graduated Akoya necklace from the 50s. It was her wedding necklace, but had long since gone dull and yellow. Hopefully my freshies will last long enough for my granddaughters to play dress up. It's sort of fun to think of a piece becoming an hierloom down the line.

You did a wonderful job with it and it does look stunning on you.

thanks for the kind words, I am pleased as punch with my simple strand, and am so glad you all like it too!

ps boo, your avatar is adorable! did you make those yourself?

Elisa,

A worthy addition to your collection! Beautiful on you! I have seen quite a few graduated strands in various gemstones, many quite large, and have even made a few myself in smoky quartz, onyx, jet and coral, kinda retro, yet modern at the same time. Why not pearls too??!!

This strand looks really nice on you! The clasp is perfect for a graduated necklace, too.

Thanks to this forum...and a purchase last year, I too am a graduated strand convert; just wore them today, in fact. When I started looking around, nobody was wearing graduated pearl strands. Interestingly, I get a Lot of compliments on mine. In terms of bang for your buck - it's a great way of getting at a few larger pearls in the location where you're likely to see them. Plus I think they sit very nicely on the neck without turning.

I like the graduated look, and well done in matching them :)

DK :)

Elisa, the piece is just beautiful - as Bernadette says, simplicity is perennial. Your lot from Jeremy must have been something to allow you to conjure up such a beautiful necklace from it! Very nicely put together... and, of course, looks fabulous on you. Thanks for the photos!

You know, I really didn't like graduated strands before this, I've seem too many vintage real and fake strands that were made of smaller pearls. But honestly, this one is really nice and I think I have may have changed my mind! Enjoy them!

Very nice, Elisa. I thought graduated strand seems old-fashioned, but I changed my mind.

Back