Pearls worn during times of mourning

Bcm21mk

I noted while watching sad events broadcast this week of the passing of a political figure, the prominent role that pearls played. So many of the mourners were wearing their beautiful pearls, showing such elegance in their time of sadness. Pearls are always appropriate in times of sorrow as well as jubilation. The widow wore several different styles of her collection of pearls ,all beautiful and dignified.( For some reason this was posted under Tahitians. It should be in akoyas.)

Last edited:
Moved! :)

And yes to the pearls! "Pearls are always appropriate" -- was it Jackie Kennedy who said that?

That’s why I love pearls... they are always right. And with so many kinds available now, they can go casual or formal. I have always noticed the Senator’s wife wearing beautiful pearls over the years.

One of them things I appreciate about pearls is that they have an elegant look to them that is not 'in your face'. Relatively few will be able to know if what you are wearing is even expensive but there is still a timeless elegance regardless of setting.

As an example I was a casual class reunion last night, 40 years since we left 9th grade, and wanted the 'you look like a million buck' look without looking dressed up. So went for my signature all-black (black army-like boots included), Tahitian pearl on leather, two tiered earrings (one carved, one plain Tahitian) and a ring with a large Tahitian keshi. It totally worked! And a strand would have felt out of place. My pieces would have cost a smaller fortune if bought in Denmark but no one at this get-together would have even known that. It was just 'different'. I could have worn the few pieces I have with gem stones but that would have felt out of place.

- Karin (who should dig out the camera soon and update my collection shots)

I'm so sorry about you being sick ericw, I hope that you will recover. Best wishes during this difficult time for you.

Eric, I am so sorry to hear that you are ill. Please stay positive and we will as well, for your recovery. You have many friends here and I will be sending you positive energy to you and your family for your well being and recovery. Know that you are in my prayers today.

Terry

Eric, we surround you with caring and positive energy and hope you will have many more years with us, discussing pearls and creating your unique, beautiful carvings.

Especially in the past, pearls (important jewelry pieces) were often a gift from the husband or lover.

Prayers, peace, and gentle days your way, Eric, and hopes for a good recovery.

Back