pearls and amethysts, and a bonus

linda.wald

First, some freshwater potato chip pearls, and amethysts:
potatochip_pearls.jpg
Some freshwater coin pearls, also with amethysts:
coinpearls_amethyst.jpg
And finally, not pearls, but silverlite (whatever that is; I've gotten contradictory information on it) but I think it lovely:
silverite_necklace.jpg
I have been very lazy about posting -- I finished these at least a month ago. My current project is teeny tiny emerald beads. I am knotting every 5 beads, they are so small.

These necklaces are so pretty, well done. Can't say that I know what silverlite is either, Google was of no help, but it's pretty.

Thank you everyone! The bead in the third necklace is a fancy bead, but not vintage. We have a nice bead store near here who carries some very fancy beads. When I saw the silverite and the silver bead, I fell in love.

I've gotten stuck with the emeralds -- the holes are very small, and have frayed the thread near the needle. I've come across a number that I couldn't use, and now even the ones with larger holes won't go over the frayed section. Help! Any suggestions? I can always start over, but it will probably happen again, unless I am super careful and use only the beads with the largest hole. Then what will I do with the rest?

Linda,
Ugh, so frustrating when the thread frays from rough drill holes. Sometimes the only solution is to modify one's design to use a high quality fine designer wire (nylon coated) such as beadalon. Wondering what other suggestions others have? Are you using my Serafil thread? What size?

Last edited:
Yes, I am using the Beader's Secret, in the smaller size (#40). Is there an even smaller one? The thread I got them on is a little finer. I will look into the wire -- I think I have some fine guage. Maybe it is fine enough. Thanks Pattye!

Lovely work Linda! Whatever silverlite is, it’s pretty :)

Linda, with the emeralds, you might try PowerPro 10# test, in moss green color. It doesn't fray, in my experience. I used 10# test in white to restring my 3-7mm vintage graduated akoyas. It's very slender but also strong.

I just looked online and I see it available in 150 yrds; various sellers carry it including Walmart. That is undoubtedly more than you want, but it isn't so very costly.
There's someone on eBay selling it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Pro-...585?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Love the pearls and amethyst together. Two of my favorite things together!

I finished the emerald bead necklace. Here is a shot of it. The gold beads are 3mm, to give you a scale. The power pro worked wonders!
emerald_bead_necklace.jpg

Back