Pastel Tahitians

Renna

Community member
First of all, I found these beauties, and I want them but I know there's no point because darker pearls don't show up well at all against my dark hair (which is too short to pull back and too long to be out of my face). https://www.etsy.com/listing/169690049/blue-baroque-pearl-drop-earrings-blue?ref=shop_home_active_12 I weep with jealousy.

Can anyone tell me more about pastel Tahitians? Do they cost more than the famed dark peacock ones? I already have two beautiful peacocks as a pair of earrings, and I really do love them and I wear them often, but past my bias for the pretty colors I have to admit that my South Seas suit me better because they show up better. I prefer larger pearls for dangles (10mm+) but I'd certainly be open to smaller pearls as studs. I don't need my pearls to be round or perfectly smooth. I'm fond of drop/baroque drop shapes and actually getting fonder of circle drops because they seem to catch the light so much better. What I'm more interested in are luster and color. Colors I'm intrigued by are silver, silver/blue, aqua, teal, grey-green/pistachio -- anything with a paler body and preferably some overtone. I'm a color junkie, I can't help it.

Is it harder to find lighter pearls with pretty overtone? Does the oil-slick effect only happen with darker pearls, or happen commonly with darker pearls? I know the famous PP China Trip is coming up; would it be worth it to email the staff to keep their eyes open or is what I'm looking for beyond expensive/will be made more expensive by the special request?

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are awesome and I am learning a lot. A pearl vendor at a craft show here actually offered me a job when I was helping my mother pick out a pearl for my cousin. Unfortunately it didn't work out, but, it was still pretty cool! You all can congratulate yourselves for almost getting me hired. :p

A few answers :) The lighter Tahitians usually cost less than the darker ones. Why don't you look around at http://www.tahitianpearls.biz for starters? Jos? has a good reputation and there is much on the website in terms of baroque pearls in lighter colours. You can certainly get light Tahitians. Below is a shot from Tuscon last year (I had a stand-in buy me a pair almost in that colour that unfortunately I haven't had set yet). I bet something like that would look great against your dark hair - pretty exotic too.

attachment.php

- Karin

Hi Renna,

Welcome to the forum! Some really lovely suggestions here, talking to Josh would be a great move. He's got some very special pearls :) My other thought would be to talk to Douglas from Sea of Cortez pearls (fellow color-junkie here, to me nothing matters as much as unique color and killer luster, blemished or not!); they're naturally black pearls grown here on the West Coast (well, the Gulf of California, Baja) that have lighter body colors and intense coloration- seriously, I can't stop myself from drooling over his photos when harvest time is around. Happy Hunting!! :cool:

I seem to recall there were a lot of lighter strands around in HK. I got some pretty pistachio and pinks for earrings but no strands

I have pastel Tahitians from Josh/Kamoka, SoC pearls for earring dangles, and a mixed pastel Tahitian and wSS strand from Pearl Paradise. All of the pearls are absolutely gorgeous and coordinate very well together, and to be honest I would have a hard time picking a favorite. I purchased the SoC pearls directly from Douglas's farm for earrings first and then had them set by PP. While my pearls were there Hisano chose drop Tahitians to match and designed my necklace for me. I then sent a couple of photos to Josh and he chose the baroque Kamoka pearls for me and sent them to Pattye (Patricia Saab Designs) to be made into a bracelet. I highly recommend all of these vendors! Here are some photos for you.

Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 9.39.53 AM.jpgSoC huggies.jpgsTwSSnecklace.jpgkamoka bracelet.jpg

Lit Geek -- nice to see these pearls all in one post. So incredibly gorgeous.

Renna, all these suggested retailers are tried and true. You could email them as well and ask if they have the shade you are looking for..then perhaps they could send you some photos.

Lit Geek ... wonderful pearls...luv them ! Tell me about the bracelet please..what gold did Pattye use for the pearls? It looks lovely..I like the links :) (and the pearls of course )

Katbran Thank you! I was inspired by the gorgeous bracelets Pattye had made for my friend newberry. Pattye used goldfilled links and a clasp for the bracelet and the pearls are around 10mm.. Pattye was so wonderful to work with and the bracelet is a perfect fit! I really love the Kamoka keshi (thanks Josh!) pearls by the clasp.

LitGeek - that is such a lovely set of pearls. I love that everything is one-of-a-kind. :)

Prices depend on seller too. Margo Pearls/Tahiti Pearl Market in Honolulu every now and then has some nice pastel ones. I think their pastel pearls are about the same price as the darker ones, considering same surface and luster. Here they are taken with my peacock ones.

Attachments

• IMG_4016_1.jpg
    IMG_4016_1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Douglas had some pastel SoC too. Wait for the harvest in June/July 'ish or check his website perlasshop.com. I have a pendant of 3 Soc. Also a picture of a SoC with 2 purloined FW pearls (pink and white).

Attachments

• IMG_4851-1.jpg
    IMG_4851-1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 36
Back