Paspaley is mixing in stones for the Christmas collection

gorgeous. could wear any of those in a heartbeat

I wonder why they aren't using more expensive top line gemstones. Something thing that would really give the pearls some bling. I find it a bit disturbing. I find it a bit insulting to the pearls. Not as if they are freshwater beauties. They just don't do it for me.

As for Stuller with the London Blue Topaz. Aren't they treated to achieve the colour which looks and I am sure "is" false.

We all know that many gemstones are treated in some way, heat treatment being common. We hope what we are buying has not been treated. Sometimes we can tell but sometimes we can't but these big firms should know the difference and have the resources to find out if they don't.

Sorry not meant to offend, just an observation !! :(

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.
http://shop.ebay.com/dawncee333/m.html

As for Stuller with the London Blue Topaz. Aren't they treated to achieve the colour which looks and I am sure "is" false.

London Blue Topaz are radiated to get the colour. I don't like that idea much either.

- Karin

I was just two weeks ago watching 2 mm strands of black spinel's from my Indian supplier and thinking how to combine these with pearls and yeah, Paspaley now had the same idea, classic elegance I would say. Maybe I should still go ahead and see I can come up with something also.

Im happy im not the only one who thought why are they using cheap Stones

The reason is not only the price maybe even more the amount they need because its hard to Find 2000 the same quality sapphires etc they use Stones that are easy to get in the same quality

THE London blue is a 2 USD ct stone so this one they used because its cheap

I really like the earring findings in the stuller ad. They have a fold down post so they can be worn as a clip! I am indifferent to the original photos you linked to, though. Except for the spinel. I would so much rather they used Adeline as their designer! Those Paspaley designs will stretch out your earlobes!

Very luke warm about the paspaley - somehow I just don't like the torpedo shape of the stones. My boat is unfloated. slightly more liking the stuller. But all the photos look very over-processed (although pearl photography is the world's hardest to get right I think. Gemstones and findings are a doddle by comparison. It's like trying to photograph a mirror without showing a single reflection)

I wonder why they aren't using more expensive top line gemstones. Something thing that would really give the pearls some bling. I find it a bit disturbing. I find it a bit insulting to the pearls. Not as if they are freshwater beauties. They just don't do it for me.

We all know that many gemstones are treated in some way, heat treatment being common. We hope what we are buying has not been treated. Sometimes we can tell but sometimes we can't but these big firms should know the difference and have the resources to find out if they don't.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.
http://shop.ebay.com/dawncee333/m.html

Sheryl, DMJ, Bodecia and Karin: You are absolutely right. Given their resources and industry connections, you'd expect far more from them. At a glance, this amateur suspects Paspaley's rose quartz to be Brazilian; a sin when paired with those pearls when top-of-the-range Madagascan material is readily available with it's intense pink and ethereal glow. But then again, even Madagascan rose quartz is some small consolation; with SSP like those I'd expect gem kunzite or rose tourmaline!

If I an amateur gem and rockhound had not bothered to educate myself with tomes of books and surround myself with online experts on gemology, and now pearls, I'd had fallen (assuming the pair of Paspaley's was in my budget) for the prettified words and pics hook, line and sinker. With gemstones, these days, I buy direct - Jaipur manufacturers - who are now used to my endless questions on cut, quality and origin of rough material. And for the really intriguing material (Afghani lapis, Madagascan lavender jasper and Nigerian tourmaline), if I on my lowly budget can bother to source for rough myself in Bangkok and custom cut it, I wonder why can't they? Btw, Jaki on Etsy (no middlemen) is a great source for Thai and Cambodian sapphires; some are even of gem quality.

And Caitlin, thanks for the shout out. I daredn't and can't :p A this rate, my dissertation will never get done; am settling for wannebe status ...for now.

I agree with ALex on big prestigious fashion companies using surprisingly poor pearls - even fakes. I used to think five years ago that it was because of uniformity and quality difficulties, but that doesn't really apply any more - last time I checked a lot of Chanel and Westwood at least was fake, but still of course high-end on price. shame on them

I think with the Tiffany piece, it would have been the juxtaposition of a precision cut gem, with the un-cut (or un-cultured ?) pearls that the designer was after (bringing a modern look to the 'Sultan' effect)

I am guessing that these 'Brand' pieces always have one eye on the market - in Tiffany's case, 'new money' as well as 'old money' perhaps....

Last edited:
Very nice Paspaley design and mix of stones and pearls.
IMHO the question is less the price and standing of stones used in jewelry, than the quality of stones used, whatever the stones.
If it is top quality pink quartz, it compliments the pearls, thought less expensive than emerald or sapphire cabochons, but why not.
And spinel are nowadays completely underrated stones.
The result only matters, and I like it.
As used to say Chanel,who popularired the faux pearls rope in a very elegant way:
" if you are looking for the very expensive, why not wearing banknotes directly".
BTW this never prevents her to produce very high end jewelry.
What is funny is that I already made multi-stand black spinel necklaces myself (and other stones) with a south seas big baroque pearl as interchangeable clasp ...

its not about the very expensive its about the material and quality the onyx they use is painted etc they still charge a price where the stones could be something way nicer

for me its also verry much about the design i never like it when something is clearly a copy because the original designer should get respect for the product

sometimes they will get the respect like jorg heinz with his interchangeable clasp i still think its weird he lost the patent on it ( thats jewelry life patents never last)

for working with gems i can only hope i will never find myself asking prices that are to high for the material i use

i think more company s are going to sell cheap stones in there high end jewelry simply because the chinese are buying the nice stones at the last hong kong fair the prices for stones like tourmaline and sapphire where retarded already so lets see in 5 years

Last edited:
Back