Paspaley is cutting the auction schedule

jshepherd

Paspaley will reduce the number of wholesale pearl auctions due to be held in 2012 following a decrease in the production of Australian South Sea pearls in 2011, the world?s leading South Sea pearl company announced.

The company will hold only four auctions next year, Peter Bracher, executive director of Paspaley Group of Companies, said in a statement.

?The Paspaley Pearl auctions are the most important sales events in the international South Sea pearl calendar, providing the opportunity for a wide range of goods to be available to a truly international clientele,? Bracher said. ?The decision to hold only four auctions in the coming year was motivated by the significantly reduced production of Australian South Sea pearls as the result of reduced seeding during the global financial crisis in 2009.?

Full story:
http://www.jewellerynewsasia.com/en/news/1395/Paspaley-reduces-number-of-pearl-auctions-in-2012.html

Thanks Jeremy for the info
Do you think it will decrease or increase the price of australia strands? lower production, but lower demand too?

Hi Anna!

I think South Sea prices have climbed a bit, particularly for good quality round pearls. There is a decrease in supply, and demand is holding steady, particularly from China and India. To qualify my remarks I should say we have more experience with golden South Sea pearls than with whites. For golden pearls, we have found prices about 20% to 25% higher for good quality round pearls with nice color. Baroque and semi-baroque pearl prices are not as strongly affected by high Asian demand, but supply does seem to be reduced (downstream effects of the 2008 crisis).

Best,

Jose

Jose Goldstein
Reingold Imports Inc
www.tahitianpearls.biz

Back