Old Lady Needs Help

icecheermom

The "pearls" I have now are from the costume jewelry section of a department store. I bought them for job interviews back in the '80s. I think it is time for some real ones , but I am a little lost about what I want in a strand of pearls.
I am in my 50s and 5'7" tall. I wear a size 10 to 12. I mention this because I am older and not petite and feel that might factor into the decision about what size pearls would look best on me.
Can anyone make suggestions about what size pearls I should be considering? I kind of have my eye on some Freshdama ones in white 18 in long. I cannot afford the Akoya ones. Would this be a good choice ? Are there others to consider? What size?
Any help you can give me is appreciated. I am a complete newbie on this subject though I have looked around this forum a bit.

I'm in my 50's, 5.7, size 8...... And I wear ALL kind of pearls. Sometimes I feel like having on one 6mm 16" strand, sometimes I put on six ot them....sometimes I wear 14-16mm klonks.
For our age I think the most versatile is 8-10mm range. As a basic strand nothing beats Freshadamas. Mine are 9-10mm and I love them.
buy strand that you love.... Does not matter color or size. If you love it, you will wear it!

oh... And I resent you saying that being in the 50's we are old!!!. This is the time when real fun starts!!! Old is 85...... We are just...not so young anymore...LoL....

I'm 50 and 5'7" too. Maybe we should start a club. :) I am pretty thin but still prefer 8mm or larger. And when they list a size range, in my experience the real size is usually the smaller number. So 8mm would be 8.0-8.5mm or 8-9mm, not 7.5-8.0mm or 7-8mm.

Personally, I would get a 24" inch strand even if that meant going down a grade to AAA. I don't find shorter strands flattering, they seem to draw the eye straight to the aging signs on the upper chest and neck.

If I only had one all-purpose strand, I would get a white 48 inch rope, even if I had to go down to 7.5mm and/or quality (AAA or maybe AA+) to get it. It is so versatile! It can be doubled for that 24 inch length in a double strand (impressive!), or knotted, or worn long and sexy. Oh, stop, you're making me want to write bad checks! Just kidding. Please show us whatever you get!

P.S. Also, you can get rose, silver, or ivory overtone on the white pearls. As with the rest, personal preference comes first of course, but I believe they say rose is best on fair skin, ivory on darker skin and oh, I forgot the rest but a lot of people seem to like both rose and silver overtone and request both of those overtones together. Anybody have more to say on the overtones? (I may have gotten it wrong).

Last edited:
Freshadamas are to die for!

Something to pay attention to is shoulder width.
Another is if you like to look at your pearls, get a length that will wrap around your wrist however many times you like, with a clasp easy to operate with one hand (assuming that exists LOL). I'm liking magnetic with a safety chain lately.

Purely subjective, of course, and I promise I don't work for Pearl Paradise, haha. But in the price range it sounds like you're thinking of and if I didn't have any other pearls, this would be my choice, and I'd wear it with everything, jeans to formal (I think the pearls can go a little smaller when there are so many of them, but all is just my opinion):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/52inch-7580-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3515.aspx

Last edited:
Old?? :)

I'm 5'8'' size 14 and turn 50 in 6 months. In this picture you can see me wearing golden akoyas, app. 16'' long, app 8 mm. Here used with an enhancer. I have more necklaces that are 18'' but I don't find the 16'' a problem, and the length is perfect for layering with e.g. my 18'' Tahitians.

You might also want to plan ahead a bit. If you have read any of the old posts at PG, you'll know there is a huge chance that it is not a question of getting your Pearl Necklace, but getting your first pearl necklace :)

- Karin

I am 48 in Feb next year, 5'2 and UK Size 16/18 (large to very large). My day to day pearls is a 8-9mm strand to be worn with shirts with collars. The dressier pearls for more formal events range from 9-10mm through to a SSP strand that is (I think) 11-13mm graduated.

Due to my size as well as my age, I can wear larger pearls in order to get the balance right. Small dainty jewellery are completely lost on me.

I currently do not have a strand of Freshadamas in my possession, however, I did have a strand of double 8-9mm and it was wonderful.

Enjoy your first real pearl necklace purchase. Once you start you can't stop!

DK :)

Last edited:
So, if you all had the kind of budget for it that she seems to indicate (maybe under $500?- and please correct me if I'm wrong, icecheermom) and were her age and size and had no pearls, what would you get and why? Just if you feel like answering, not my thread haha, but I'm just curious.

So, if you all had the kind of budget for it that she seems to indicate (maybe under $500?- and please correct me if I'm wrong, icecheermom) and were her age and size and had no pearls, what would you get and why? Just if you feel like answering, not my thread haha, but I'm just curious.

I would contact Sarah, Kojima Pearls, and ask if she has any more of the golden vintage akoyas around, as they can be mistaken for baby south seas and then you have two in one - as well as history, none-treatment, and uniqueness :)

- Karin

I would call Pearl Paradise and ask for a white metallic necklace.

white metallic pearls (2).jpg

If I had to stick with a 500 USD budget

DK :)

I'd get 7.5-8mm white Freshadamas, bracelet and earrings, from Pearl Paradise. 18" necklace.
Or multicolored.

Also in my 50s!

I prefer my pearls to be no smaller than 8mm.

The white metallic freshwaters at PP, with amazing luster, are on sale this month:
8-8.5mm: http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4510.aspx
(see my photos of the strand I bought on my thread here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6842)

These are slightly less round than the Freshadamas, but the luster is to die for! And in any case they look round enough to the eye.

They also have 7-8mm white metallic strands (http://www.pearlparadise.com/70-to-80-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4450.aspx), but IMO these are just a bit too small. With a range of 7.0-8.0 mm, you will end up with a higher per cent of the smaller ones.

If you have to go smaller than 8mm due to price, I suggest instead getting 7.5-8mm Freshadamas. (The range of 7.5-8mm means you will get more larger ones.)
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace746.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies.

I know we are not really old! I actually feel better now than 10 years ago. I recently started lifting weights. :)

I put a picture in an album in my profile that shows my coloring. That pic was taken in August so I am a little pinker than usual in it because I burn rather than tan, but I am always a bit pink. I am thinking I might want a silver undertone in order to not highlight that especially in summer. Does that sound right?

So far I really like the metallic strand and the Freshadamas, but I might choose something else to get the size I think I need. I don't think I want less than 8mm because I am fairly broad-shouldered. I feel like something smaller might get lost on me.

Finally, as to length. I think I want the 18 inch but has anyone done 20 in? I wear a lot of v-necks and when I measure I think maybe a tad longer than 18 in would be good. I saw the recommendations for a longer strand that can be used as a double or triple but I think I am a single strand gal...

My budget is around $500 USD though I'd go more (maybe 750ish) for the right necklace. I have a kid in college so I cannot go much over that. Well, not til 2014!

Old?? :)

I'm 5'8'' size 14 and turn 50 in 6 months. In this picture you can see me wearing golden akoyas, app. 16'' long, app 8 mm. Here used with an enhancer. I have more necklaces that are 18'' but I don't find the 16'' a problem, and the length is perfect for layering with e.g. my 18'' Tahitians.

You might also want to plan ahead a bit. If you have read any of the old posts at PG, you'll know there is a huge chance that it is not a question of getting your Pearl Necklace, but getting your first pearl necklace :)

- Karin

I am not seeing the picture you mentioned above, but I'd sure like to. I was very drawn to the gold pearls I saw, but they were out of my price range.

If you get 10 mm or larger, you may indeed want to consider getting a 20" strand, since the diameter of the pearl will mean a snugger fit for the same length of necklace.

For 9 mm or less, a 20" strand may be too long for the necklines you wear. Take a good look at your wardrobe. Will you be wearing the pearls on bare skin? 18" may be safer. Will you want to wear the pearls longer, over clothing? 24" may be better.

Edit: I re-read your post. Yes, with V-necks you certainly can get away with longer strands. You can have the length customized...maybe even 19" would suit you best. (But note that custom strands are not returnable.)

I think a silvery or cool undertone would be fabulous on your skin!

Last edited:
Also, I notice P-G member Wendy (Pearlescence) has some larger pearls strands in longer lengths-- see this section of her website:
http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index.php?cPath=192_24_75_81&sort=2a&page=1

Thanks! I will take a look.
I'm really on the fence with this.
If you were picking , which of these would you pick?

On the higher end of my budget
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4510.aspx
or
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace751.aspx

or on the lower end
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace746.aspx
or
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace544.aspx

There's 15 percent off today on all but the metallic which is already on sale. I want to narrow this down to 2 , one in each price range and show them to my husband. (This is going to be part of my Christmas present from him. )

Also, Is it best to call to place the order or just do it online?

I Forgot Something! If you're fairly big-breasted, bigger longer pearls look better!

You could try this - get your costume jewelry of the approximate size mm and length you're thinking of buying. Stand in front of a mirror, step back about 3 - 5 feet and squint your eyes a little.

The somewhat blurred vision allows you to see the overall appearance as opposed to how clear vision can give too many distracting details.

Do the same 'Squinty Inspection' with a full length mirror, stepping back enough to get at least a vision from the knees to the top of your head.

Go for the BEST you can afford. Also, how much of a perfectionist are you? If you're a Perfectionist, go Freshadamas. They're available for a discount today only (Monday, 26 November). If there are things that you absolutely would freak over seeing in your pearls, best to do voice ordering. The folks there are absolutely lovely and helpful.

If you want the pearls to visually POP on your skin, and you're fair and pinkish, silvery white will POP. Rose overtones will be more subtle, as shown in PearlDreams comparison photo (sigh...dreamy)

Thank you for sharing this with us, it's very exciting!

Last edited:
Back