Need help, pearl earrings for wedding outfit!

ellad

I have loved browsing this forum looking at everyone's pearls, now I'm about to buy and need some help.
I?m looking at buying some pearl earrings for my wedding. I have some pearl studs already, so I would love to add to these with some dangle earrings. What kind of pearl would be best for a white/ivory colour (ie not stark white) if this makes sense?
Most of my jewellery is in yellow gold so would prefer this, but it seems most designs are in white gold. I would like the pearls to stand out, but not be too ostentatious.
So far the best value I can find seems to be these http://www.pearlparadise.com/Eterna...water-Pearl--Diamond-Dangle-Earrings3974.aspx
Any suggestions on the pearl type and size would be greatly appreciated! My budget is between $500 to $1000.

Ellad,

Welcome! Those earrings would be a wonderful choice! As you can see, the earrings do come in yellow gold, and pearls are a white/ivory color, some more creamy, with slight differences. Freshadama is a high quality pearl and an excellent choice. Best I can recommend is for you to call the ladies at PP and chat with them. They are most helpful and knowledgeable, to help you analyze your "look" and choose the best size for you personally. With a dangle earring you can go a bit bolder, even 10mm, depending on if you are wearing a necklace. (Please don't just order over the internet. You will benefit greatly from a personal consultation.)

Pearls are seldom ostentatious, IMO.
Perhaps you'd share a bit more with us:

What is the style of your wedding dress and the neckline?

Will you be wearing a necklace?

What scale jewelry do you usually wear? What size are your pearl studs?

Are you petite, average, tall?

A number of women find as they mature they are drawn to somewhat larger pearls.

What an exciting time for you~planning your wedding!

Hi Pattye,

Thanks for the advice! You have confirmed what I was thinking all along, that this is a purchase I can’t just make over the internet. I’m very keen to get the right colour pearls and have been struggling with this, hence my post. The wedding is exciting, it’s also become the perfect excuse to buy some jewellery!

The dress base is very slim fitting, sweetheart neckline, small train, with a boatneck lace dress over the top and cap sleeves. The lace is a beautiful ivory and has some subtle beading. I would say I’m average height, slim frame.

At this stage I wasn’t planning on wearing a necklace as it would clash with the boatneck, or at the very least be lost against the lace. That’s why I can spend more and am keen to get the perfect earrings. Perhaps I could add a bracelet?

My pearl studs are 9.5-10 mm which I have worn on an everyday basis and love even though I’m normally attracted to more delicate jewellery. Overall, I think my biggest regret would be buying pearls that are too small.

Ellad,

Can you mention what country you are in, I only ask because of the way you spell jewellery~

I mentioned a pendant, because they are not so expensive, and could be easily matched to the earring color when purchased together, even if not worn with the bridal gown, could be worn with going away outfit and on many occasions thereafter. A bracelet would be a lovely choice also, and could be in a slightly smaller size and slightly lower grade (perhaps 8mm) than the earrings.

Your gown sounds perfectly gorgeous, with the diamond/pearl earrings being a great accent, go for top quality pearls. I feel you can stay within your high budget and get some fab pearls, do phone the companies you are considering purchasing from. Often they can provide photos of the pearls for your consideration.

I'm certain others will have suggestions for you also, what a lovely bride you will be! I hope you will show us a photo at some later date.

How much time would the OP have before the wedding please?

If there is sufficient time, how about getting a pair of diamond huggies made that can accept different drops, from pearls to gemstones, like the ones the Duchess of Cambridge is often seen wearing?

A pair of diamond huggies with what looks like removable drops can be seen in White Flash, and I believe they can make other drops to fit, as well as to make them in yellow gold.

White Flash Diamond Huggies with Sapphire Drops

If I were to have a pair of earrings with drops, then that's the sort of design I would go for, with bigger diamonds to suit my size and age.

Good luck with your search.

DK :)

Pattye,

The link was for design inspiration, not for the price. :)

A pair of diamond huggies from White Flash is under 500 USD: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/huggable-diamond-earrings-430.htm

10-11mm White Freshadamas at 110 USD each.

It should not be too difficult to find a skillful PGer to drill and wire wrap the loose pearls to make them into drops to fit the huggies.

DK :)

Thanks Pattye, I'm in Australia :)
I think the pendant is a good idea for later on. I do like things to match and it would be easier to purchase items together.

DK, love the idea of the huggies! It didn't even occur to me, and it's such a practical idea.
The wedding is in september so I have some time to get organised.

Just by chance I found the photo of Kate Middleton wearing huggies with pearls.

li-kate-middleton-620-15175.jpg
from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/14/william-kate-topless-photos.html

Just a thought to add, I like the freshwater pearls you liked, ellad, but if I was paying that much for earrings, I think I would want the pearls to be more valuable ones than freshwaters. I realize a lot of the cost is the gold and diamonds, though. Or maybe you'd want to consider what type of pearls your current ones are and if you'd rather have a different type this time. I hope you posts pics of whatever you get!

That's an interesting article, Wendy-- I hadn't heard the story before about Kate's imitation earrings. Very sensible of her! :)

In the book People and Pearls, I read that:

Coco Chanel preferred imitation pearls for street use, reserving her real jewelry for private wearing at home.

Brooke Astor, wealthy as she was, said she sometimes wore imitation pearls when out in the country.

Charlotte Ford (daughter of Henry Ford II) preferred imitations for travel.

Kenneth Jay Lane's pearls were famously worn by Jackie Kennedy and Barbara Bush, and the book delicately states that that Princess Diana also "coveted" them. (Did Diana have some imitation pearls, then?)

Fashion editor Carrie Donovan loved and wore imitations.

I have a sad feeling that Kate's pearls are fake, sure I read it somewhere

Don't be sad! She does have faux earrings too but those particular favorites are by Annoushka -from what I read anyway. They run a little less than 2000 dollars which is pretty affordable considering her budget. I am sure she is very aware what she picks will effect the lives and businesses of her countrymen and chooses accordingly. I wouldn't know who they were if it wasn't for Kate and I find myself wanting a particular pair of their aquamarine earrings. I believe her earrings are freshwater because that is usually what Annoushka sells but maybe they upgraded for Kate Middleton. Either way they are beautiful and she wears them so well. I love that she has signature pieces that she wears repeatedly.

You sound like me. Or I sound like you! I champion faux pearls (costume jewelry in general) too. I love all the photos of Jackie Kennedy wearing those famous KJLs and her children playing with them, putting them in their mouth and yanking on them. Face it if no one is wearing faux it is a bad thing for the pearl industry because it probably means that pearls aren't in style and aren't loved by everyone. Faux pearls are a good thing for lovers of real pearls. They mean pearls are loved for their aesthetic use and are for everyone and every occasion. I read that Coco mixed real pearls with faux too. My first strand of faux pearls made me want a real strand and that is how it starts for many women.

This might be off-topic, but wouldn't it be something if the royals (and maybe some others too) wore real pearls and spread rumors themselves that they were fake? In the gossip rags, people are so mean. Maybe because of the poor economy, there seems to be plenty of resentment over the royals' fortune and lifestyle. I think Kate is lovely. I get so tired of hearing about all the over-the-top trashy celebrity behavior that it is refreshing when someone in the public eye seems classy and dignified. (Boring! I must be getting old, huh?) Anyway, anyone think that's likely, that they would claim their real pearls are fake to keep people from squawking?

Back