My first carved pearls

Fun! You carved them yourself? What kind of tools did you use?

Very cool!!! I can't wait to see what you do with even better pearls and more experience!!!

Pearls are very difficult to capture on camera.
I love the odd shaped pearls the best...I think there are lots of round carved pearls out there, however, I have seen very few baroques (other than drops) that have been carved. Very unique!

Well... THANK YOU FOR ALL !!
Yes, I love baroques too. It's why I have begun by working this kind of pearls.
The problem is also the nucleus, absolutly far-fetched, and the surprise to meet it at any moment, as I have often discovered it, sad.
Now, some baroques are very well looking to carve, but not bought on the net, but in China or over, to study theres one by one and make the right choice.
I must find a solution to that. Maybe a trustworthy seller I stand to find.

Last edited:
The photographs should benefit from a white background. Black can sap the life out of pearls in photographs.

As for your work, it is interesting, distinctive and beautiful. :)

Ohhh wow! Was is difficult to carve pearls? Carbing something so tiny winy! My eyes would hurt. You must have a very steady hand. If its in the market btw what is carved pearl for? I mean...why people are carving pearls? To hide the blemishes and increased artistic value? Ive seen some in the markets..this is just a pure consumer question. Im not a pearl seller or an artist
.im just a consumer. Im not reallt into buying carved pearls...so wondering why a pearl will be carved? I mean its perfect the way it is.

I'm with JP and think the baroques are really cool.

Wonderful is the matter of a pearl, first... I have carved any gemstones, but nacre's pearl has so a special brigthness that it's really my artistic way I have discovered as a flash, later in my life. Now, it's time to work more and more to achieve the best.
Pearls are difficult to carve, more hard than natural aragonite, and very different hard between each. So, each pearl ask to be carved according to a way or an over... It's an hazardous game. A game of precise gesture : pearls are very small and variable matters, and you can't remove any nacre, of course the lost light, instead of a gemstone, after a mistake. A game of patience, also, because a speed deep carving loose any brightness in the nacre.
So, I don't like usual carved pearls, they seem as christmas baubles, I mean.
I will try to make better photographs...
My project is to show them as pieces of art, in galleries, and let the buyers to choise jeweller's assemby or not.

Last edited:
So thanks to this thread I was googling carved pearls. Maybe better to carve big pearls say like 20 to 30 mm fireballs or 15 mm tahitian or southsea. It will look more striking. Even found pics of tiny pearls carved into tiny winy skulls. How did they do that?? Its soo cute. Found something called Galatea carved pearls. These people insert colored gemstone beads to grow into pearls. Carved the nacre deep until they reveal the nucleus color. Pretty impressive. Now I peep into the world of caerved nacre thank to you Ericw. Maybe you should post a video on when you carve a pearl. I would definitely watch that. I mean how do u carve a pearl? Or is that a trade secret??

Back