Mearls -- Someone needs an education!

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
I happened to run into this, I guess it's called a blog, I'm so illiterate these days.

Anyway, apparently we have our fashion work cut out for us. http://mattdavisopenshismouth.com/2008/06/mearlsman-pearls/

I agree the small, white, akoyas aren't my cup of tea, but there's a whole Pearl World out there. What a shame to be so narrow minded.

One of the replies:
"No. Not ever. Never acceptable.
Also, pearls are not attractive on anyone under the age of 70 (or over 70 for that matter)."

Aaargh !!
I might just have to forget that I'm a lady and throw a tantrum....:mad:

Hi Knotty. :)

I agree! A sound thrashing is in order!

On reflection, it's rather sad that the poster can't see the magical beauty of pearls.
I feel very sorry for April.

Sad for people who think like April... but then, that leaves more pearls for us! :D

April certainly seems to have a very strong opinion on it. Wow. Everyone has the right to their own fashion preferences, I guess. I personally prefer Tahitians on a man, rather than the small white akoyas.

I agree that everyone does have a right to their own fashion preferences. What I love about the Pearl Guide is that the level of maturity of the average poster is such that there is room and acceptance for all opinions.

In nature males are often the most beautiful. Lions have their manes, peacocks their beautiful tail feathers. Who says women can't have pearls at any age?
Age as a determinant of adornment is highly overrated and fairly silly.

Gandalf said, (paraphrased) "Do not be in a hurry to judge, fearing for yourself"

Goodness, there's a bunch of stuff going on in Portland I don't know anything about!!
Also, pearls are not attractive on anyone under the age of 70 (or over 70 for that matter)."
Soooooo wrong to have limitations imposed because of age--they will be sorry someday!! (Whether in one's own mind, or from the outside.)

I gotta weigh in here--Pearl strands on a man? Sorry, but IMHO it just leaves me cold and I think, frankly, that's how most men will see it. It's the kind of thing that, if it gains much attention, will get lots of traction on the stand-up comedy circuit and might end up doing more damage than good to attempts to market pearls to men. I think we need to find other ways to tap this market. Jeremy may well have hit that nail on the head.

----------------------
Marc
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Well, I do prefer Tahitians on a guy rather than the strand of small white pearls in the photo (see link in post #1).

Pearls are not attractive on anyone under the age of 70 (or over 70 for that matter).
April is clueless and tasteless. However, she may be half right. Take me for example - I'm only 52, but I doubt if wearing pearls will enhance my appeal. And my wife (whose beauty only intensifies when she wears her pearls) would surely disown me.:(

I wear pearls often but look is not my cup of tea - then again either are the shoes, pants or shirt.

I have a feeling its more a shock thing then a serious fashion statement.

Back