little h freshwater drop geodes!

BAS

I picked a gorgeous lavender freshwater drop during my visit to PP last month for a little h geode pair of dangle earrings:

The plan was to fill the halves with peridot. I liked the idea of lavender and green.

Hisano informed me that due to the dark color of the interior of the pearl, the peridot was lost and ended up looking yellow. She asked me to choose one of the following instead -- dark pink sapphire, Burmese ruby, or amethyst. I made my choice. What would you choose?!

gem options.jpg

Wow, there's no wrong answer here, is there LOL? I couldn't make that choice without seeing the gems inside the pearl ... but I'd bet Hisano had perfect advice as always ... can't wait to see what you choose :)

BAS I would choose 1. Burmese Ruby and 2. Dark Pink Sapphire.

I think the red or pink of either of these two would contrast nicely and go very well with that back color of the pearl!

Last edited:
I like the interior color so much I'd use clear quartz.
eta-
I also like the peridot, for the subtlety. Obviously, I thought that was the interior color of the pearl.

Well I'm really surprised at the Peridot ! I thought that was going to just POP ! Who would have figured the interior would turn them yellow..! ??!!

Personally I like the pink sapphire .. but then I'm not a red gem person soooooooo...... as Cathy said..no wrong answer as they all work. Probably be good to get photo of each colour inside the pearl...if it did that to the bright green peridot it might make the other colours go all weird . (such a pretty drop shape)

That's a perfect drop for earrings! Great choice! For me I'd go with the rubies mostly because of the contrast. I look forward to seeing what you choose!

Before they're set - or is it already done? - would you mind posting a photo of the naked interior?

If it's boring, how about the black spinel?

Lisa, the only photo I have is the one above. There is a thick "rim" of bare nacre, so you can see the nacre's color. In the photo, it's already lined with the peridot. The color melted into the pearl's interior and looks kind of yellow instead of lime green. So Hisano suggested I change the gem and offered the three options above. I've already chosen (went with Hisano's suggestion!) and just thought it would be fun to share the options with everyone. I'll reveal my choice soon!

I like amethyst... Purple and yellow. Plus your other geode already had some reds? No wrong answer and I'm sure Hisano had some good suggestions. Do keep us posted!

Thanks BAS.

So the very interior matched the cut edges of the pearl. Very interesting, how diverse each layer of a pearl may be.
lovely, mysterious world.

Last edited:
Lovely colours! So very interesting. BAS -- I think you tend to go for more lavender colours but the ruby looks like the best match in that photo, so that would be my guess. The ruby doesn't look red to me in the photo though, more of a fuchsia colour, but that may be just in my screen.

This just in! Pictures of the teardrop's interior -- just fascinating!

Freshwater pearl sliced in half
pearl interior 2.jpg

BAS, your pearl has a perfectly symmetrical drop shape! I lean toward the rubies first, then sapphire, then amethyst. But I also like the idea of combining the rubies and the sapphires into a color gradation look. Like CathyKeshi said, "no wrong choices her!"

Look at the inside of that freshwater pearl!
The color is so different from the outside.

What a wonderful and amazing surprise inside that pearl, BAS! It's a great thing that you have Hisano on your side; I'd be at a loss on this one :) But NO WRONG choices LOL ... I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Back