• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

Guide to Cleaning and Caring for Pearls

JerseyPearl

Checked the ingredients list on 2 bottles of nail polish remover I have on hand. Definitely wouldn't use on pearls. Includes many other additives besides acetone.

Yes, pattye!!! Use only 100% acetone. Most drug stores sell it along side of regular polish remover. It's usually marked for gel nail remover. You can also usually find it at the hardware store.

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
HDR stands for high dynamic range...which basically means the camera adjusts automatically for higher quality, sharper contrasts, greater detail in photos.

What a camera does for HDR imaging is to merge several photos taken at different exposure levels to maximize detail of highlight and shadow with the properly exposed image. Phone cameras perform this automatically, but with DSLR cameras you have to do this manually, which means taking several photos at different exposures and then using a computer software package to perform the merging. HDR in phone cameras is pretty great, but still doesn't touch the quality of the dynamic range you can achieve with DSLR.

JerseyPearl

What a camera does for HDR imaging is to merge several photos taken at different exposure levels to maximize detail of highlight and shadow with the properly exposed image. Phone cameras perform this automatically, but with DSLR cameras you have to do this manually, which means taking several photos at different exposures and then using a computer software package to perform the merging. HDR in phone cameras is pretty great, but still doesn't touch the quality of the dynamic range you can achieve with DSLR.

Yes, absolutely agree about DSLR. Just one more comment, on the "automatic" HDR, you can override that and simply turn it on for all iPhone photos. Same way you can use the live feature to create movement (bounce, replay, etc) Amazing what the phone can do, but nothing like what a DSLR camera can capture! And btw, your photos are magnificent...if you guys don't already follow her on Instagram, you should! Especially if you enjoy wildlife photography.

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
Yes, absolutely agree about DSLR. Just one more comment, on the "automatic" HDR, you can override that and simply turn it on for all iPhone photos. Same way you can use the live feature to create movement (bounce, replay, etc) Amazing what the phone can do, but nothing like what a DSLR camera can capture! And btw, your photos are magnificent...if you guys don't already follow her on Instagram, you should! Especially if you enjoy wildlife photography.

Thank you, Jersey, you're too kind! It's been difficult to keep up with lately, but I'm hoping to pick it back up more regularly in the fall :)

SunSeeker

Yes, I agree, HDR imagery stacks multiple photos taken at different exposures so that the photograph can expand the total range of exposure in one image. It's an awesome affect that allows the viewer to see more detail, especically in shadow areas of the image.

beautiful images, MSC!

IHEARTPEARLS

Hi everyone :eek: after I wear my Tahitian strand I take a damp pearl cloth and I wipe them. But how to best clean between each pearls? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks!

BWeaves

Same here. Although, if I see some very obvious crud, I can usually remove it with my fingernail. My nails are much softer than the pearls, so they are safe.

lisa c

Perpetual Pearl Student
Hi, IHEARTPEARLS�� I take a damp washcloth over my thumbnail and rub between each pearl, rolling the pearl against the cloth, until I get too bored to do it anymore. It's kind of hit or miss but it keeps them from getting a buildup. Also, I tend to do it when I'm on the phone, or watching tv.

IHEARTPEARLS

Hi, IHEARTPEARLS�� I take a damp washcloth over my thumbnail and rub between each pearl, rolling the pearl against the cloth, until I get too bored to do it anymore. It's kind of hit or miss but it keeps them from getting a buildup. Also, I tend to do it when I'm on the phone, or watching tv.

Thanks lisa c :eek: I clean them with a damp cloth every time I wear them . Will try this .

VR1

How do you talk on the phone while wearing studs? Do you have to hold the phone away from your ear?

Do any of you wear Magic Bax or Levears to solve droopy earrings? I have monster backs but they are not enough for heavier studs. Just wondering if it is bad for the gold posts. The solid gold ones are really expensive and I would think that solid gold is not necessary.

BWeaves

I never put a phone up to my ear. I put it on speaker phone and hold it like a walkie talkie. At work I have cushioned headset, but I try to position it above my earrings.

I bought a pack of gold filled monster backs from Fire Mountain Gems. Much less expensive than the solid gold ones. I've replaced most of the tiny earring backs with those. I've got some of the sticky dot things called Lobe Wonder that you put on the back of your earlobe, and then push the earring post through, and they work, but I don't like the feeling of something stuck on the back of my earlobe.

VR1

I never put a phone up to my ear. I put it on speaker phone and hold it like a walkie talkie. At work I have cushioned headset, but I try to position it above my earrings. .

Have to change our lives for our pearls! ;)

BWeaves

How do you clean your pearl rings that have gemstones?
I like to keep my gemstones sparkly, but I don't want to damage the pearls.
Normally I submerge my rings in a jewelry cleaning solution, but it's not recommended for pearls.

KarinK

For gem stones I use a small tooth brush and detergent + water in a cup and brush the top and back. Detergent makes them super shiny. Makes sense since it removed fat on dishes too. It was recommended to me by friend from an old jewelry family. If a pearl is right next to (don't have any with both) I would think it would be possible to brush around the pearl. Or maybe find a softer brush.

- Karin

SunSeeker

I use a tiny drop of the original Dawn to clean metals and gems, usually in a tumbler, but also with a soft cloth & toothbrush. I never tried using any type of detergent to clean pearls though, only a soft damp cloth.