• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

Guide to Cleaning and Caring for Pearls

Marie_A

Hi everyone, I found the old thread (https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2565) for this question I'm about to ask, but I just had to ask it again -

Is sunscreen bad for pearls? I always read that they need to be the last thing you put on and that they shouldn't be sprayed with perfume, alcohol etc. so I try to remember these guidelines, but then I worry because the combo of sweat and sunscreen on my neck (sorry TMI!!) in constant contact with them could be just as bad.

Thank you so much for your thoughts :)

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
Sunscreen (as well as all other cosmetics) is not good for pearls.

But then cancer is not good for skin. :rolleyes:

When you get home, run a damp hand over them lightly and wipe them gently with a microfiber cloth to get the oils and sweat off.

A soft cloth will clean light dirt of pearl jewelry without scratching the beautiful and fragile surface. You can use warm, soapy water and a soft brush if your jewelry seems dirty.

pearl-man

My firm has been washing pearls during a restringing since 1940. We always use either home made soap or ivory soap. If washed while
knotted and strung the junk will just enter the string and work its way into the hole. We transfer to cotton string and lather our hands and
lightly wash with running water. Rinse. Dry with an old cotton dish towel and then slide the pearls to dry cotton thread by sliding, takes only a minute. Holes are then dry and clean....then we slide to silk.

pearl-man

pearl-man

If they are knotted, of course we have to cut and layout on a bead board as we cut. Restring on cotton two threads . use a stiff Japanese needle.. then wash. Just slip loose end over the faucet scrub away. rinse at same time then SLIDE to dry cotton....easy.. some time cotton breaks if you hold up vertically . do lying flat on
cordoroy (sp) automatic bead board. few times back and forth then slide to SILK.

norm

amti

Great tip on using corduroy Norm! I would have never thought of that... too bad I don't have any corduroy laying around, but maybe mom does. She still has a stash of her clothes from the 70s. I have been using distilled water all along since all tap water has minerals. Read that tip here. Well, I'll confess, I got all my tips here! This is the place to go for pearls! Y'all are GREAT!!! :D

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
I would soak the ring in warm soapy water to soften and hydrate the gunk, then swish the pearls around to loosen it. Hopefully the gunk will drop off into the soapy water.

If you have a small soft brush (like an eyebrow brush or the small flat brushes one finds in jars of commercial jewelry cleaning solutions), you can use it to flick away any stubborn gunk lingering near the drill hole.

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I ended up letting the ring soak in the soapy water solution for an hour or so because I forgot about it. The dirt, etc was really embedded and so did not just fall off after the soaking. I took a toothbrush and had to really work it with the soapy solution to get all of the crud off. But off it did come and it looks SO much better now!

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I buy baby toothbrushes and baby hair brushes to clean my jewelry. I find that both are incredibly soft, and some of the baby toothbrushes have little soft nubby things that can clean really well. Oh, and I also use the dental soft picks, which work really well.

Never would have thought of that! That's going on my list too!