Grandma's pearls

k.perea

This 20.5 inch strand of graduated pearls belonged to my grandmother. They were purchased around 1950. There are 119 pearls and the center pearl is 6mm.

She always told me that the pearls were valuable and very good quality. I have been meaning to get them appraised so that I can figure out if they belong in the jewelry box or in the safe.

Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pearl.jpg
    pearl.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Pearl1.jpg
    Pearl1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
    33.9 KB · Views: 30
    16.7 KB · Views: 29
thank you for all the photos! They clearly show the need to be washed, to see if the luster is better afterward. Then restrung, if they are to be worn or sold. I saw stretched places and places where the thread has degraded.

They come from the right time and look to be the typical akoya pearls of the time, except that the luster is not clear in your photos. They should have a very shiny luster. The light spot shining on it should be sharp edged. The luster on your grandma's pearls is more diffused, which can be from even a slight buildup on the pearls.

Use Castile soap like Dr Bronner's unscented, or just use some clear shampoo. Or you can buy a professional pearl cleaner product which name I forget, but it is under the care and cleaning section.

Back