Gem Show?

LittleRed

Community member
I have a renewed interest in pearls and am hoping to find just the right pendant for myself. I have been looking through so many posts here and now have a good idea at what online shops to search.

There will be a gem show near me in a few months and I’m wondering if that’s also a good place to look for a pendant. If so, how might I know the best vendors? Any input on gem shows vs online shopping would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
(This is my first post here. 😬)

I suppose it depends on the show. I never found good pearls at Intergem shows in our area, and there are very few pearls at the annual gem mineral and fossil show in Springfield, MA.

I think you are better off shopping online, personally.

Hi LittleRed. As Pearl Dreams said, it all depends on the show. Which show is going to be in your area?

Welcome LittleRed. I always look forward to the Intergem show in my area. I generally buy freshwater water pearl strands to play with and string. Occasionally, I look at the the completed pearl strands and pendants. I really do not think there are bargains even if you can buy wholesale and have a tax number for a business. However, it is a good place to familiarize yourself with pearls, colors and prices. Also, it may give you an idea of the type of setting you might want for your pendant. I think you are safer with our trusted vendors online and especially when there are sales.

This is good information. I’ll go to the show to enjoy but will continue looking through the online sites for the pendant my husband will get me for our anniversary. 😉

Do the online sites generally have sales in February as well?

I was originally looking at the akoyas, but am now looking at the smaller SS. I’m a small person and my 6mm studs do not look small on me at all, so I’m thinking 9-10mm or 10-11mm, depending on what’s available.

Thank you!

Pre-Valentines' Day sale maybe? I suggest you get on the mailing lists of the vendors that interest you, so as to get emails alerting you to sales with discount codes.

Do you like drop shaped pearls for pendants, or round? SSP drops can be very pretty. :)

I was just looking at some drops and was asking myself the same question. I originally was only considering round, but now drops might be a contender.

I’m having trouble finding pictures of pendants here. There are so many beautiful necklaces and tin cups (which I had never heard of before), but not so many pendants.

I visit the Chantilly Intergem show quite often in February, even though I live 4+ hours away, as we have family and an event in VA around that time. The show is a lot of fun, but very very very "hit or miss" for pearls. Sometimes ... hardly any. Sometimes ... just very low quality freshwaters. Occasionally ... some nice pendants from pearl dealers. Rarely, oh, so rarely ... a few nice Tahitian strands I had to put back last year, as I'd already spent the budget and more on little diamond beads LOL. There are not a lot of bargains in the retail section, or the wholesale for that matter. If you are new to pearls, I'd advise visiting some high end retail stores to study what you really like (you may have already done this :) ), and stay with our trusted vendors for your first purchases. It would be very difficult to return an item bought at Intergem. Having said all that, you never know; it's fun to go and you might find a rare treat! (still haunted by those 2 strands of Tahitian rounds, one larger, one smaller, 2 different vendors, light silver/charcoal body tones, strong pink to light cherry overtones all the way around ... SIGH.) Have fun searching for your pendant! P.S. If you find a pendant style you like, many of our favorite vendors will show you a selection of pearls to choose from for your pendant if they have in stock :)

Just approved posts 8 and 9, sorry for delay.

LittleRed, look at photos on the Show Us Your Pearls forum. There are threads called "365 Days of Pearls"
and "Show us Your Pearls in Action" with a lot of photos, of which some are pendants. I'm not sure how many are WSS pendants though.

Last edited:
The exact same pendant can look entirely different when set with a round pearl or a lovely drop. On some of the vendor sites you can scroll through and see a pendant set with various pearls. A lovely drop makes a stunning pendant :)

I’m getting the feeling that in these parts drop pearls are more desirable in pendants than round. Is there any truth to my feeling?

It’s so fun to have my eyes opened to so many other possibilities.

That's a great catch, Pearl Dreams. Here's another tip LittleRed: I'll use the Pearl Paradise Dew Collection Pendant as an example although other vendors have similar options: If you scroll, search and wander around in the website, you can see how that pendant setting looks with a pretty wide variety of pearl types and sizes, metal colors, with and without a diamond accent etc. It can look quite different with a smaller/bigger pearl for example, as it changes the balance between setting and pearl. Often a vendor can change the size of the pearl for you, if desired ... larger pearls may have an upcharge of course. Just a fun little bit of research along your way :)

LittleRed ... we love them all LOL. Round pendants, drop pendants, multiple pearl pendants :) Round is classic, and sometimes more costly. Clean drops are elegant and still classic. Baroque or circled or fireball pendants have their own unique and maybe more casual style. We love them all!

I’ve been going over each reply. Thank you everyone!

Another question, now completely off topic from my title on this post.... I was intending on getting a pendant with white gold but it seems pearls are more often paired with yellow gold. With my skin tone, white gold looks much better, but I want the pearl to shine as well. I guess it’s not really a question, just more pondering on my part. Opinions on the color of gold is greatly appreciated.

I might just have to buy my own pearl and not wait for my anniversary. Hehe.

What metal depends on the colour of the pearl. Yellow gold with some blue south sea pearls would be very yuck for example

I also like white gold with white pearls, yellow gold with golden south sea pearls and warm-toned freshwater pearls. For Tahitians, I like both colors.

Many findings come in both colors, and you can choose the one you prefer.

Back